Topic: Online RP games

It seems that, from what people are saying in the forums, the RP community in Saga of Ryzom is falling apart and URU Live is failing to produce the RP that we'd all hoped it would. It looks like it's time to start the discussion about what online games we can meet in once again.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes seems, from what I read on the site and independent reviews, to be the perfect game for out needs apart from one thing. The minimum specs needed to run it are so high I can't try it out and see what it's like for myself, and I gather from what's been said that this may be the case for a lot of us.

Pirates of the Burning Sea and Age of Conan both have very good potential, but neither is out until later this year (June for Pirates, end of October for Conan).

City of Heroes/Villains is my own current online game. Whatever you may think of the comic-book setting, it has a VERY well-established RP community on the Union server. I've not had this much enjoyment in RPing since Seed, and anyone who tries the game out is welcome to get in touch with me so I can lead them to the RPers.

Re: Online RP games

lord of the rings online could also be an option

I will try Age of conan for sure...i only hope they manage to make the setting propper (as in, dark, "evil" etc)

ok, I'm starting to think about Vanguard. But yes, I have also heard problems with specs. LOTRO also requires high specs from what I've seen.

Esme

And looking at this trend, it's probable that Age of Conan will need high specs too. And I was so looking forward to it, since what's been shown so far seems to indicate that they are indeed going for the feel of the original Robert E Howard books. I really am going to have to get my PC upgraded somehow.

Pirates of the Burning Sea has finally released the system requirements, and the minimums aren't excessive- anyone who was able to run Ryzom will be able to play Pirates as well.

I don't know, Vanguard kind of looks like the ultimate generic fantasy MMO...

I'd have to buy CoH/CoV, I don't know if it's worth it. Money is tight and I already have an MMO I'll be paying for. It's not a concept that has appealed to me...

Conan, LotRO, and that pirates game are all not out yet. Not to mention I don't want to play games that have much PvP, let alone games that are all about PvP, like the Pirates game. If they have perma-death, that may be (but is not usually) some sort of restraint, but it's unlikely, as hardly any MMO has that.
Really any combat MMO that has no perma-death, I'm growing a bit tired of. It just turns into... blah.

I'd like to try out Fallen Earth, but gods know when that is coming out, if ever.

Adellion may be an option, but that's also still in Alpha.

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

As far as I saw, LOTRO has some really nice features that encourages RP and it's not just a "generic" fantasy setting, it's [death]Middle Earth[/death]! Also, not the last thing, that AD will be the GMs, including some of our beloved GMs from Seed. The requirements may be a bit high, but it can give an immerse environment in return.

Anyway, if there is a game which many of us gives a try, count me in!

Cheers,

Dustie

Last edited by dustman (2007-02-02 17:58:16)

From what I've heard, Vanguard sounds totally generic to me, and I can't see any indication that it will have better RP or RP tools than other games. Not that I would know, haven't checked myself. I know a few who do play it though, and no one is that thrilled.

There's also Chronicles of Spellborn, which like Vanguard looks to be another big generic fantasy setting, albeit in a slightly (slightly) more original setting.

However, as I mentioned before, a NWN2 PW is probably our best bet? I played on one of the greater NWN 1 PW's, and it was great, including applying with a background to get in. Mir has tested some but didn't sound too happy with them. I guess I'll be snooping around them too when I get NWN2 myself. We'll see.

As for machine specs, yes. There's a red thread in all of this, and I think it is time for all of you to upgrade. I can say this easily enough, as I am upgrading next week ;D But really, the next-gen online games do require it.

Oh and Esme? You're such a newschool gfx freak. Drop thinking about Vanguard and such.. You KNOW where the sweet stuff is.. Oh yeah, come join the daaaark side... *nudge*

Darkhawk wrote:

Oh and Esme? You're such a newschool gfx freak. Drop thinking about Vanguard and such.. You KNOW where the sweet stuff is.. Oh yeah, come join the daaaark side... *nudge*

I will resist! that char background I've developed will just have to sit to one side for now...

Oh, please no Chronicles of Spellborn...
I already looked at that ages ago because a friend of mine from Ryzom not only went to play/test that, but got herself hired there too.
I didn't like what I saw.

I was thinking about NWN2 PWs, and it seems like there aren't any good ones out there yet. If any will come, it will probably take a long while, since there are hardly even modules out for NWN2.
So, I went on to think: why not a NWN1 PW? It may be a bit outdated in many ways, but I think we'd all be able to play it right now, and there's loads of stuff out for it...

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

And as we are talking about several games that seem to be in this magazine, I thought I'd post a link:

http://www.afkmagazine.com/browse.php

Esme

the specs for lotro isnt that bad.

nwn2 perma worlds would be a very good option actually...it does have some semi high specs as well but with the last few pathces performance has gone up a lot (for me at least)

hmm...did our own idea of making a perma world die off completly?