Topic: Event: Night of the living dead community

If anyone wants to RP together, I've been offered a special one-evening session deal from Holotrek. There would be no need to write up long backgrounds, and one of the admin would run a plot just for us. If anyone hasn't heard me talk of Holotrek, it's a Star Trek MUx. The  So, why should you spend several hours on this game that you possibly might not like?

1. Do it to do something with your friends in this community.
2. You might like it.
3. Holotrek gameplay is fun and profound.
4. Holotrek people are nicer than you.
5. Holotrek people are better RPers than you.
6. Holotrek people want more people, and are willing to go out of their way to accommodate us.
7. FFS, a few hours won't kill you.
8. People have spent effort preparing this event for you and are excited about it.

Post here if you're interested. Whine quietly by yourself if not. (will QFE if necessary)

SWG: CL90 Smuggler, Crimson Phoenix Ace, CL90 Engineer, Europe-Chimaera
AoC: L70 Guardian

Re: Event: Night of the living dead community

Well, what the heck. If we are a few community people, I'm willing to do this, just because reason 1 and 7 are good reasons, and it might be a nice experience.

Well, why not if it's not at a bad date or time or something. (Though the thread title doesn't sound very promising.)

A one-evening session? I suppose I could do that as well. If the date and time is doable. Can't say, I agree with all of the reasons, though, but some are valid. (Something serious out of Mir?! yikes )

That sounds fun, but what about those of us who are unfamilliar with the Star Trek 'verse?

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

hmm....

I guess if the date fits into my (lack of) plans I am willing to give it a go smile
Its a pretty cool idea for a "community event" so I think that if people are even a little bit interrested they should give it a try!

Well, this is surprising. People are ready to play actually wink

And Wheri, I am unfamiliar with the universe as well. Well, I watched Next Generation as a kid and had a budding sexual crush on Tasha Yar.. Oh, was that too much information? Uhmm..

But I guess they'll be gentle with us.

What I am more interested in, is how people are going to learn how to play a MUD/MUSH and use a client before playing.

I think I've found the best MUD client of all, back last year when I played MUD last. I even ended up BUYING it. It's maybe too advanced for a simple one day MUD newbie playing session, but it's great, cool, intuitive and fast. There's a free 30 day trial, so:

http://www.zuggsoft.com/cmud

Apart from that, it would be nice with some additional setting, story, what's to be expected, etc. info from Mir.

Wheri wrote:

That sounds fun, but what about those of us who are unfamilliar with the Star Trek 'verse?

For a one-nighter, very basic information should suffice. I'll post more once we decide on what I can tell you without spoiling the tension, but basically we're looking at a Starfleet mission. You guys will be Starfleet ensigns (or below if you insist), and we'll be using the Starfleet player character ship, USS Endeavour. I expect at least the captain of Endeavour and one GM to be participating and running the event for us.

The character creation requirements have been significantly lowered for you, so you don't need to write up any elaborate biographies or such. You might want to call dibs on your favourite department in this thread, though, so we don't end up with 6 science officers and no helmsmen or such. The choices are science, operations, engineering, tactical, security, helm/navigation and medical. No command for you yet. You can also choose one that you studied as a minor subject at Starfleet Academy, for example my char majored in engineering and minored in helm/navigation. (Feel free to double up on me, this event is all about you.) Otherwise feel free to do as much or as little planning as you feel comfortable with.

linky linky: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Main_Page

Use that to look up *anything* releated to star trek. Be it fasers, transporters, or the birth day of kirk!

Great, and thanks for the Wiki link!
Darky, that's what the community is for, after all! Sure, we don't have a game to play constantly, but you know we're all ready to jump at an opportunity.

So yeah, I'll have a look around that Wiki and try to come up with a character. Which, I think, would be something like an engineer-in training. Wiki here tells me operations personnel also study "service specializations such as communications", which sounds like an excellent thing to minor in.

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Well Wheri, we do play a game constantly, many of us. Seed: The Second Chance with Kryigerof as GM and with our own software. Every sunday. And that's pretty good. You could also jump in there you know smile

But looking forward to a one-evening ST session with you.

I don't know, I can't really make myself comfortable with the idea of it... but hey, I'll try to drop by next time you guys have a session to have a look. Who knows, maybe I'll get hooked again!

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Ok, Ning, our friendly Holotrek GM is also curious about what departments you all intend to play, so she can better plan the scenario.

I'd like science then. And perhaps below ensign, certainly below if there are other players in science. I'd like to play a young human n00b.

Would it be better to cover the whole spectrum of roles or form a more connected group?

What period are we playing in? Can we play weird characters like androids and holograms? I could play a Vulcan if no one else is playing one. Perhaps security or medical.

I was considering a Vulcan too, but far from decided on the issue. As for department... I'm torn between operations and helm with tactical as an outsider.

Androids and holograms are a no. Vulcans are generally advised against as long-term characters since playing them correctly is about as interesting as playing a piece of furniture, so every Vulcan char tends to develope emotions at some point. Should be no reason to not make a Vulcan for the one-nighter though.

As for diversity vs. connectivity, I don't expect any problems with connecting since you've already been limited to playing on the Endeavour. The officers of all departments will work together to solve things, just like on TV. You can still feel free to double up on roles, if you want, since the positions nobody wants can be played by NPCs.

Would be neat to have a helmsman, though. There's never enough of those. Anyone want to fly a starship?

<OOC> ning says, "I would advise Terran, Betazoid, Centaurian, Trill maybe,"
<OOC> ning says, "Bajoran..."

Alright then. Guess I'll call the helm.

I was thinking engineering (as darkhawk already took science wink )

I was also thinking Betazoid....or Terran

Here is another little link that you might want to check out:
http://wiki.holotrek.net/

Are the current events truly current? The timeline at least doesn't seem to have updated for years.

"Cardassian fleet attacks Deep Space Nine. Bajoran wormhole reopened. Deep Space Nine and Federation, Klingon, and Romulan starships exiled to unknown territories!" is from 2006-2007, that plot has been resolved and Klingons are at war with the Cardassians as a result now. The Federation has placed an embargo on the Klingons, as the Cardassian military is all but ruined already and the Federation cannot participate in a war that might cause the enslavement or destruction of an independent people.

Also, would be cool if people could write up what their character looks like, beforehand, so the descing in chargen would go faster. If you think it'll take you a while to think up a name, you can do that now too.

Useful Holotrek stuff, part 1, emoting:
Most poses you will make are going to be emotes, typically about 4 lines long, though there is no minimum or maximum. Ning in particular wanted to let you know that she doesn't care if you all do one-liners all the time, so just go with what you feel comfortable with.

Full column (:, or @emote) is the command that works like /me on IRC. I was to write ":slaps darki around a bit with a large trout" the output would read "Lieutenant Mir slaps darki around a bit with a large trout".

@emit will let you write the whole output yourself, without even putting your title in the beginning. That way, "@emit the tomatoes in the room smell tasty" would output "The tomatoes in the room smell tasty."

Say is the command for saying stuff, it is the most limited and quick way to say stuff. "say I like this" would output "Lieutenant Mir says, 'I like this'". This is most useful in hectic situations, like ship combat, rarely used otherwise.

All in all, a typical scene will go like this:
One person is already in a room. Another one arrives. 1st person writes a pose that describes what is going on in the room, without reacting to the arrival. 2nd person reads the pose, sees what is going on and joins in. They tend to take turns from there, but that's not fixed either, just go with what you feel is right. The key to posting quick, long poses is starting to write them as soon as your previous one is sent. Start with generic stuff, then just add reactions and such once the other player has sent their pose and you can read it. This way you don't have to wait, either, but can be typing all the time.

Ok, sorry, but I can't play after all. Was a bit unsure whether I would get one of my friends from Copenhagen over fri-sat, or sat-sun, but now it's clear it will be sat-sun, so you'll have to do without the science noob.