Re: URU-Live

Seems like the next stage of beta is underway: it's not open beta yet, but there's no NDA for things tested from here on, and there's some new forums on the official site, viewable by all, not under NDA.

Which means I can say: Saturday we'll hold a stress test of the City (Ferry Terminal), any of you that can admit to being able to get in game as of yesterday, like me, could show up. I think it's around 7/8/9 PM European time. But it's advisable to link to the Ferry Terminal long before that, we just saw last night how hard it is to get to once 150 people have already shown up.

And any of you that can admit to being in game as of yesterday, can also come see, and possibly join, our neighbourhood (which is named after my char and cannot be renamed, otherwise I'd have given it a clear Seed name).

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

Somehow Uru Live seems to remind me a bit of Cybertown, especially the neighbourhood thing.

Ofcourse i realise the CT was only aimed to be a online community, but still...

Most of you will disagree with me and even more likely most of you don't even know what CT was/is ^^

Yes, write me down for the latter wink

No idea what CT was or is.

-Norah/Liath-

www.cybertown.com

used to be free, now you need to pay fee. You can enter for free as a visitor though (with some limits ofcourse).

CT is like a less advanced Second Life, but it demands less from your computer aswell and it has text to speech (which is enormously fun when your drunk...or not so drunk)

A sneak peek has been announced for URU. It is a bit like open beta, but not true open beta, because:

1- it's only available for people in current GameTap countries (USA and Canada)

2- it will only last a few days (the 12th to the 18th)

The full news can be read over at http://www.urulive.com/blog/

Cyan said there would be an open beta, and they also say that this is not open beta, so I assume a real open beta, that everyone can get in to, will come sometime later.

-Norah/Liath-

And a sort of URU-tutorial video, for those that need it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 6395809622

-Norah/Liath-

Anyone online in the Uru Gametap preview can get me at my ki number: 00351531

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/coarsesand/graffisigtransparent.png

Ok.
Big news: Open Beta will start on the 20th of December!

We just read that it should be accessible for all. USA and Canada people will go through GameTap, and GreyDragon will put up a link for international people (from certain countries, which are on a list).

I will link to a thread on the URU forums, look for posts by Randomos and GreyDragon, those will have the info in them. The first post has a lot, but is later on in the thread further explained, and added to.

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4073

-Norah/Liath-

Wow... We might actually have the game up and running for play soon! I probably won't bother with the open beta, but will definately be signing up the moment the game gets a full release. Seeing the beta version video tutorial on google video managed to push me from vaguely interested to eagerly awaiting.

It'll be fun to have everyone in one game again, since I'm sure that after all the hype we've been given the former Seed players will at all at least give it a try. Here's hoping it delivers what we're expecting.

Last edited by Tantavalist (2006-12-15 04:50:55)

I should not forget to tell you all (since you might not follow that link and read the entire post, shame on you) that during the open beta the Story and Events will be starting!

So wait until launch if you want to, but I intend to be in the midst of all the developments from the start  tongue.

-Norah/Liath-

Tantavalist, just go for the open beta. Don't you want to try exploration for free? And we need to get a Seed neighborhood set up. big_smile

Sandling wrote:

Tantavalist, just go for the open beta. Don't you want to try exploration for free? And we need to get a Seed neighborhood set up. big_smile

Actually, I'm not sure that would be very IC. After all, story starts, and we'll all be IC. Do I even know you all? From where do we start? Do we go for semi-chance meetings?

Now would actually be a good time to decide on it, we have a few days.

-Norah/Liath-

I say, we don't set up anything too artificial, because that won't be IC.

But, if say Norah goes ahead and make her, what was it, Seeds of the Great Tree? neighbourhood, or some other thing, and since it seems explorers get assigned random neighbourhoods, unless they chose themselves, we could say we 'randomly' ended up somewhat together, and then RP it naturally from there.

Last edited by Darkhawk (2006-12-15 17:24:41)

Darkhawk wrote:

I say, we don't set up anything too artificial, because that won't be IC.

But, if say Norah goes ahead and make her, what was it, Seeds of the Great Tree? neighbourhood, or some other thing, and since it seems explorers get assigned random neighbourhoods, unless they chose themselves, we could say we 'randomly' ended up somewhat together, and then RP it naturally from there.

You get assigned a neighbourhood, period.
Then after that, you can decide to switch 'hoods or create your own.
If I do make a 'hood it will probably be called just 'Seeds'
However, it may not at all make sense for me to make my own 'hood once I'm in game IC-ly.

-Norah/Liath-

Why don't we just honestly be the group of players left over from Seed? The Myst series is known in Uru, so why not just have the people playing Uru from the Seed community be ones who were naturally attracted to the cavern and they knew each other from Seed. Tada.

Sandling wrote:

Why don't we just honestly be the group of players left over from Seed? The Myst series is known in Uru, so why not just have the people playing Uru from the Seed community be ones who were naturally attracted to the cavern and they knew each other from Seed. Tada.

Mwah....

And even then: I don't know any of you, wouldn't know what you looked like or what your real names would be, or your names in URU. Even if I knew you all, how would we meet? Just by chance?
Once I go down into the cavern I'll have no computer, and certainly no internet.

Last edited by Norah (2006-12-15 18:43:20)

-Norah/Liath-

Oh yes, and this is now the new official site for the game:

http://www.gametap.com/home/myst/index.html

-Norah/Liath-

I don't like this, as I see it, artificial get-together so we can all RP together right from the start, especially not since it feels artificial. Sure, I have nothing against planned 'chance' meetings, but I'd prefer to just meet and slowly get to know people. At random, unless there's a very good, very fitting reason for something else.

Saying that we've all played Seed, and thus know each other. Well, that pre-supposes two things, as Norah pointed out:

1. that we do infact all know each other, more so than by our old Seed screen names, and have some reason to hang out together.

2. that we all have the same background story as a Seed player (meaning probably our own background story)

That's a little too assuming for my suspense of disbelief at least, and a little too much forcing players into certain roles imo.

In my view, we should make up individual chars, backgrounds and reasons for being where we are. We will meet up in time, probably also very early on. Then we can let it be up to our chars to interact and make bonds/a neighbourhood. And if they discover they hate each other? That's fine, then we don't force them to interact. We meet other RP'ers instead, forming bonds with them. Let's make it natural, not artificial. We won't miss out on RP since there are a lot of RP'ers hopefully, and we're still one big community, without having to force us together in game?

It's like forcing Faeron, Perun and Ract to be friendly and together for a common purpose. But what common purpose? It needs to be natural. Some of us will band together, sharing common views, others will band together with others. The only thing we need, is to get to meet and know each other at some point, and then go from there. That can be arranged without too much trouble, without shared backgrounds. Say, we have all heard about some special arrangement somewhere, or we all pop up at the same place, due to something. That's meta-RP in arranging a 'chance' meeting, but that's fine. It's also fine for me just to go around and meet other RP'ers randomly, slowly making bonds and playing my char. 

Of course, like in SoR, I'd think it interesting if some players made up connections to others via their backgrounds, to add flavour and a stronger reason to be together. That could be arranged between individuals, but need not be arranged for the whole group.

Overall though, I say. Let players make their backgrounds and RP. Let us meet up in game via real or arranged chance encounters. We don't need to get together no matter what. Or at least that's my take on it.

If they discover they hate each other that can make for just as entertaining RP as them liking eachother tongue.

-Norah/Liath-

Indeed smile No need to feel you have to be play together or hang out together.

Greydragon posted over at the URU Live forums, that he'd set up the internationals sign-up page today.

The servers are already up again, so those of you in the USA/Canada, and those of you who were beta-testers before this, can already login again, the normal way, that you logged in before this too.

-Norah/Liath-

I've been playing the beta, having finally logged in successfully, and I'm feeling a little underwhelmed. I'm getting used to the clunky interface and the old graphics engine, and the puzzles are intrigueing and frustrating in equal measure. But the complete lack of RP is slowly putting me off.

The game setup, with different versions of each age for each player, means you have to delibertately seek other players out in specific areas. And when I have found players, they're all talking OOC all the time. It may be elitist, but I find it very hard to attempt any sort of conversation like that. Where are the RPers? This was supposedly a game with more RP than usual, instead I'm seeing less...

I share your sentiments Tantavalist. The RP'ers are In the Seeds that Grow Bevin, which is private right now due to a bug. And yes. That's us. The In Cavern Explorers and The Institution Bevin are also supposedly roleplayers, but we haven't met them yet.

I don't know why there are even less RP'ers in this game than in more or less any other, maybe because it is beta, and maybe because adventure players, while potential RP'ers, don't know much about it?

But I got the same feeling, apart from me not really liking the puzzles. I need RP'ers and a living, breathing world, preferably intrigue and a way to affect it too. It's not unlikely that will happen yet though, this is the beta.

Well then, despite the objections people have raised about us arranging to meet OOC and getting our characters together, it would seem that we're going to have to do that anyway if we're going to make progress with an RP community. I occasionally wander around the various populated areas, and I'll keep a lookout for the "Seeds that Grow" bevin.