Topic: Screenshots of RP?

Scouting different MMOG communities, I've noticed several stereotypes concerning roleplay. Namely,
"Roleplaying is limited to towns",
"You can't roleplay anything interesting"
"You can't roleplay much without GM's support" and
"Trying to roleplay seriously limits your efficiency".

I think we have to create an archive of screenshots and/or stories to try to break those. Most of the stuff we did in Ryzom and Seed would suit that goal. Any interesting events from other MMOG's are great, too.

(I'll post some of my screenshots in the next post. Too bad I don't make them often enough)

Last edited by Wheri (2007-04-03 07:45:53)

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Re: Screenshots of RP?

Heh, I only have one log from Ryzom. Not much of screenshot cropped - just Wheri, a pistol and a staircase.
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/1343 … ernww6.jpg

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Re: Screenshots of RP?

In WoW I used to be a pretty damn good lvl 60 dmg dealing fighter tongue. Who also managed to RP pretty much all the time. When I do play WoW people regularly call me a power-leveller. I don't know if they overreact, but I did seem to level faster than almost everyone I knew in there. So that would show you can RP and be efficient tongue. If you're going to be a good warrior IC, you'd better actually be a good warrior in game, eh? big_smile. We RPed, hunted mobs, and raided instances, and RPed tongue. Some of those instances were pretty well-suited for some RP situations too.
I never went in for the endgame raid dungeons though, those really were a timesink that ate away RP.

It did kinda focus itself in the towns, but that's because the world is rather big, and towns, having stores, are simply your best bet for finding other RPers.
We regularly moved our business outside of the towns though, once we had some people together tongue.
We had an all-elf guild, and met up in hard-to find (though often not all that hard to get to) and pretty spots in the woods. Or spots that looked like old temples. We'd have guild meetings with lots of secrecy, mystery, and ritual (though of course not too secret, because the most fun is if other can see you too, so the spots were hard to find, or in areas people don't usually frequent, but still so that people could stumble upon us. Spreading RP tongue).
Once we used that instance in the human lands, the one that has Van Cleef in it, for an RP story. We deftly ignored all the big floaty names on the NPCs. Someone had been kidnapped (there was this whole big story going on with a whole lot of people spanning several guilds participating and this was just a small part of it), and we went in to resque them. The one kidnapped was of course high level enough to be able to traverse that instance on her own, and get to the endboss, without dying, sitting in a corner there big_smile. I thought that was very interesting to do.

WoW isn't made for RP like Seed was or Adellion will be, but if you want it, you can always have RP. The backstory isn't actually bad for RP either, you can do a lot of interesting stuff with it, though admittedly a lot of people tended to do pretty boring stuff with it that they thought was really interesting, but which was really just what half the server was doing, and usually overly melodramatic too.
And of course you can RP without GM support, in WoW the GMs are only customer Service workers, so you'd be hard pressed to find any doing any kind of RP.

I took no screens. I usually don't, unless the sights are just very pretty. Basically I take screenshots like people buy postcards on holiday. Which is why my Seed screens were also a lot less extensive than a lot of people's.

Last edited by Norah (2007-04-03 11:17:34)

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area