Topic: EVE Character Avatars to become mobile!

CCP has released an article in the E-ON magazine detailing how they are currently beginning work on creating a system where EVE's pod-pilots will finally be able to leave their capsules and walk around the stations they dock in using human avatars. As the bare-bones framework of this they are attempting to build a system with "Hyper-Realistic" human avatars, with a wide variety of expressions and gestures. People have been talking about adding this to EVE ever since the game first came out, but the company has now confirmed that it has staff working on it.

The project is obviously low-priority compared to other things in development, as well as being somewhat ambitious, so they estimate 12-18 months at minimum, making late 2008 the soonest it will arrive. But I'm sure anyone who has ever played EVE will be welcoming the prospect of this new addition, which from the RP point of view was all that was missing from EVE to make it the perfect RP setting IMO.

The head of the "Ambulation" prject has said in an interview that this feature will:-

...provide depth for the casual player and a playground for those who take roleplaying seriously. I come from a classic pen-and-paper role-playing background and feel that it's imperative that you have the option to perform actions and events that perhaps have no pragmatic economic value but enable people to emotion, power, tradition and history in the language of the EVE universe.

and has also given a few other comments like:-

We're quite authoritarian when it come to allowing EVE players to customise their characters to absurdity. There are virtual worlds out there that allow you to fit rubber ducks to your head and have hairy, bearded men in wedding gowns, but that does not fit at all with the backstory and setting of EVE and would do more damage than good in my humble opinion.

The general outline seems to be that they are going to set up an environment where human avatars can interact extensively and no combat is permitted and there is nothing of benefit to non-RPers to induce them to enter. If this project ever makes a full appearance in the EVE game, I know I'm going back to it and I also know I won't be alone. Just that pesky wait of probably two years now...

Re: EVE Character Avatars to become mobile!

Heh, that might make me dust off my Matari girl alright smile Because yes, the setting is great, but RP was hampered by the fact that two ships meeting in space is not.. Uh.. That interesting?  wink

The only thing that will make me dust off eve is a re-vamped method for training skills. paying for a month of Eve and never once going onto the game just so my skill could train ruined the game for me.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/coarsesand/graffisigtransparent.png

Er... It was the exact same skill system as Seed had. And you could just have done something else whilst waiting to train.

Training took less time in Seed though, which was nice. But I do like time-based skill training systems much more than grind-systems. Removes much of the incentive to do anything but RP.

Last edited by Darkhawk (2007-01-13 06:22:14)

Hum... EVE with actual player interaction, I could actually get into.
It's a long wait, though.

http://ahnion.centralen.net/temp/signature-Seed-community-2.gif

Agreed: this doesnt sound bad at all...

If thay make that, I'm definitely going to give EVE a try.
Do skills really matter that much when you're roleplaying?

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

No, skills don't really matter at all. And EVE has the same skill system that Seed had, so it'll be much more RP-friendly. No having to choose between level grinding and RP like with most games. I always thought if it had more scope for RP then EVE would have been perfect.

Well, if my pet peeve (CHAIRS) is going to be addressed, I'm even more definitely in!

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

They're apparently going all-out on the human character system for a hyper-realistic environment. Seems a bit odd for an add-on to an already popular game, but- CCP is now merged with White Wolf, and has confirmed that it will be realeasing a World of Darkness MMORPG at some point in the future.

Perhaps the Ambulation project for EVE is just a way of testing out their ideas for a traditional human-perspective online game before they begin full development of WoD online?

They had announced that they intended to expand the EVE setting beyond just spacecraft, and the first step towards that would be atmospheric flight and planetside action. Then, they suddenly put that on the back burner and announce that Ambulation is the way forward, right after they announce the merger with White Wolf and the deal to make WoD online. It's the only explanation for this which makes any sense to me, though perhaps someone who knows more about game development will tell me all the ways I'm wrong.

Also, here is a first glimpse of the Ambulation system in it's current state. If they're already this far along, then perhaps it'll be early 2008 and not later in the year when we see it going live.

Oh, and take note- CHAIRS! and she's SITTING in them!

http://www.tentonhammer.com/index.php?m … p;ceid=485

What can I say... yum! Give me!
And they've fixed the ugly stations!

the real question is if that video is a render or actualy in-game footage...

anyway.. This is also one of the things i feel eve is missing and also one of the reasons i am not playing it.

The Devs have said on the EVE forums that it's actual footage of the early-model engine itself (we saw all the rooms and avatars they had set yup to date). Age of Conan might have some competition for my time after all once this expansion comes out...

one thing is worrying me... it seems to use Dx10, and if it's really the case i will have problems to play on linux...
I hope they still intend to make a linux client.

They would have to be immensely stupid to make it DX10 exclusive. Only a fragment of the gamer community has migrated to Vista, and as far as I've seen, MS have no intent to release DX10 for XP. Why alienate most of the gamers?

Ahnion wrote:

Why alienate most of the gamers?

Why try to force most gamers to buy Vista?

-Fixed

Mecha
Former Developer and GM on Seed
Who will feed the mice now?!?!?!

Cynical smile

So tempting to subscribe once more ...