Topic: Misconceptions about RP and RPers

Feel free to discuss the topic here.

A link to the article:
http://dev.seedthecommunity.org/index.p … p;Itemid=1

The article's intro:

I’ve heard quite a few, and I’ve found quite a few others that I hadn’t heard myself. Strange ideas about what RP is, and about the people that engage in RP, are rampant.

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

Re: Misconceptions about RP and RPers

Great article norah!

I really like the quotes hehe.

You are missing one item on your list of misconceptions of (online) rp'ers that i have pumped into quite a few times. Rp'ers are often called 'eliteist' with some sort of discriminating word followed close by...

I guess its a misconception that comes from the fact that many rp'ers simply choose to ignore OOC comments and some people think that rp'ers dont respond to them because they feel they are better or something...

anyway, just a point I thought you were missing in an otherwise great article! big_smile

I only ever heard the elitist thing from other RPers. So, by RPers about other RPers. So I didn't count it in the general misconceptions about RPers. I didn't know non-RPers also said that about RPers.

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

I think the reason why there ends up being friction between RPers and non-RPers is that they are often thrust together in a game where RP really isn't the primary feature of it. It would be like RPing during a game of chess...

And not only that, most games have little support for RP--a static story, little ability to influence events, rote, repetitive quests or activities...

No wonder that RPer's look strange in most games...

That's why I've just about given up on the MMOGs, and play exclusively in text MUSHes these days.

That's understandable. Much better in general, and only RP'ers around. Also lots of childish RP'ers and people only wanting cybersex of course, but hey, it still beats all MMO's out there right now wink