Topic: List of games what are suggested for roleplaying

Add here if You have game what could be good for this roleplaying community.

NWN2 - http://www.atari.com/nwn2/

URU live - http://www.urulive.com/blog/

SoR - http://www.ryzom.com/

ATITD - http://www.atitd.com/

Ultima Online - http://www.uo.com/

PlaneShift - http://www.planeshift.it/

Age of Conan : http://www.ageofconan.com/

The Chronicles of Spellborn http://www.tcos.com/

Last edited by Victoria (2006-10-11 16:25:52)

Re: List of games what are suggested for roleplaying

PlaneShift - http://www.planeshift.it Open Source MMORPG, managed by a non profit organization. Still in development, but worth checking out.

Age of Conan : http://www.ageofconan.com/conan/en/index.html
Might be hard to roleplay in - will depend a lot on the community but the mature rating might keep some of the none-serious people away.... of cuase that rating could also work the other way around!

Can I post a suggestion? www.tcos.com  The Chronicles of Spellborn is at the moment in closed beta. It's due for release Q4 this year. They have quite a mature community on the game forums. Not sure how well the roleplay will be in the game, but there are quite a few roleplayers on the forums. It's worth taking a look at as the game is rich in lore and level advancement is based on getting xp from questing, with quests that will last you through to the top levels. There will only be a small amount of xp gained from killing mobs. So there won't be much of a grind as such.

Of course you can Nosyd smile And the game looks interesting, I'll be sure to keep my eyes on it.

Nosyd wrote:

Can I post a suggestion? www.tcos.com  The Chronicles of Spellborn is at the moment in closed beta. It's due for release Q4 this year. They have quite a mature community on the game forums. Not sure how well the roleplay will be in the game, but there are quite a few roleplayers on the forums. It's worth taking a look at as the game is rich in lore and level advancement is based on getting xp from questing, with quests that will last you through to the top levels. There will only be a small amount of xp gained from killing mobs. So there won't be much of a grind as such.

Also PvP ties in with the economy since certain areas like mines and caves where players can gather important resources are mostly PvP zones.

There are many plans to further build on the PvP gameplay that will be available at release.

sad

from a FAQ on the site there...

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

PvP if properly executed is not bad. PvP just for the sake of it, with an immature audience, is rather bad. We'll see.

Well, the devs have always stated that PVP will have a meaning. There is no point to just being able to kill another player without there being a reason behind it.
Also from the FAQ.

There will without a doubt be more than one type of PvP (player vs. player) available within the game. We will offer the ability to engage in arena battles (which, to be fair, should be seen as far more exciting than typical arena fares in other MMOs as we’ve taken measures to make them more interesting) as well as PvP during other times. The exact scope of PvP will be tested in Beta and may be server-dependant upon release.

We realize that some individuals have a great deal of animosity towards PvP systems. This is one of the "sticky points" for MMOGs, and it’s not something we take lightly. In any given discussion you will hear people screaming for "full-PvP" as well as those who claim to never need to engage another player, and who fear "griefing" will be prominent in any game with PvP. We have designed the game from the ground up with the intention to include PvP. As such it is not an afterthought or a second priority. It will be balanced as such, alongside PvE (player vs. environment) combat.

The most important thing for us in designing the role of PvP in the game was simply to make it have a reason. There’s no point in killing people for the sake of killing them. That’s an artificial thing which can only happen in a game. In reality the people playing those characters would most likely shy away from most fights, let alone shootouts. As such, we wanted to provide impetus to actually want to engage in PvP when appropriate. In addition, we wanted to make a reasonable system which penalizes inappropriate and asocial behavior. These things being present make the PvP aspects of TCoS far more "livable" for the majority of players

Sorry chaps, I didn't want to turn this into a TCoS debate.

Yeah, but, I just don't want PvP, period. I can't play games that have PvP implemented like that. WoW was ok on normal/RP servers since it was limited to battlefields, but games like SoR and TCoS have whole areas of free-for-all PvP, and they always happen to be areas with resources you just can't do without. I don't like whole areas of a game being closed off to me, so I don't play these games at all.

And when I say can't I mean can't. I can't take the tension that PvP brings with it for me, physically.

Last edited by Norah (2006-10-11 15:19:52)

-Norah/Liath-

I also add, that PvP is out of question for me too. Every discussion seem to get hijacked wink

I'm sorry, didn't mean to hijack anything. All I wanted to do was post what I thought would be a good game,  which I did...

It's ok, if it gets too bad we can always have an admin delete any OT posts. Or separate them into their own thread.

-Norah/Liath-

Nosyd it wasnt meant like that i think...of cuase you shoudl post your suggestions big_smile

Personally i dont mind that threads go slightly off topic from the original post - as long as the discussion is good and mature there is nothing wrong with going off topic imo.

The game I suggested, Age of Cona, is also quite PvP heavy. Just like darkhawk I dont mind PvP if there is a meaning too it.

Oluf wrote:

Nosyd it wasnt meant like that i think...of cuase you shoudl post your suggestions big_smile

Personally i dont mind that threads go slightly off topic from the original post - as long as the discussion is good and mature there is nothing wrong with going off topic imo.

The game I suggested, Age of Cona, is also quite PvP heavy. Just like darkhawk I dont mind PvP if there is a meaning too it.

I actually really hate it that I can't do PVP. I really wanted to try Age of Conan, but had to give it up when I saw it was going to have PvP

-Norah/Liath-

PvP in AoC is limited to some parts of the gameworld only - the skills are sperate from your "normal" skills as well.

I must admit I don't PvP at all really. I'm hoping that TCoS will be different and  hope PvP may be something to enjoy. The games I have tried PvP in have been a real let down for me. I'm more of an explorer, adventurer and roleplayer.

You should try URU Live once it comes out then, it'll be free to try for an unlimited time.
I just don't play games that have PVP if it means I'll miss out on either gameworld areas or part of the gameplay, like outposts in Ryzom.

Last edited by Norah (2006-10-11 17:07:14)

-Norah/Liath-

If you are into extremely strong RP, I would suggest you consider the online text games (MUDs and MUSHes/MUXes/MOOs). I find MUDs are more similar to the MMOG genre (with automated content, like MOBs), while MUSHes/etc. tend to be more focused on RP and story.

A good place to start is at the MudConnector.

My favorite right now is called Chronicles of Amber, which is a world based on Zelazny's Amber series of novels. There's a LiveJournal page for it, that has a lot of play logs and character diary excerpts, to give you an idea of the RP there. Another one with extensive player logs is Into the Black, a MUSH based on Firefly. (Click on the Community Forums link.)

I've said it before--there is NO graphical MMOG that comes close to the immersion I've experienced with a text game.

Hmm, funny. I just really can't get into the text-based online RP. I've tried a few by now.
It seems that for online RP-ing, I really need the visual/graphics element.

-Norah/Liath-

I agree with Norah on this. I need visual of some sort to be able to truly enjoy it. I get bored real quick if not. I sometimes like to spend time alone in an MMORPG world, to explore and adventure away from the crowd.

Yeah I agree. That is basicly what the difference between PnP and an mmo is imo

Oluf described my opinions as well. I've played some MUD and MUSH games, but I invariably feel I'd have more fun playing PnP. The best text experience I've had was playing PnP over IRC with a good GM.

http://ahnion.centralen.net/temp/signature-Seed-community-2.gif

To me, this question is like asking whether you like movies/TV or books. They are different genres, with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Graphical MMOGs/MUDs are like movies. Very much focused on the "doing" rather than the "thinking". MUSHes/et al. are like books, heavy on the characterizations and introspection. And this difference is often why turning a book into a movie fails so badly. You can't take the 1st person aspects and the narrative into the 3rd person world of a movie easily.

For me, a novel can be as engrossing as a movie. It used to be that a movie could never duplicate the imagination, but that is less true these days. But given this, I've found I don't need the visual aspect of these games anymore. That's why I only play MUSHes now. I decided to not play Seed because I didn't want to spent any time in the mini-games of hatches or whatever. I want to leave those duties to "off-screen" activities that could be assumed my character was doing.

In the end, I want to play games that make me feel like I'm in an interactive book (or movie), not actually in a "game".

I just want that world to be visible around me. Like Nosyd said, sometimes you want to do something all on your own, and in MMOs that gameworld is there for you to walk around in.

When it's just text, I just don't feel like 'playing' with other people. I feel like I'd rather just go and make my own world and characters and write, if it's just text and I'm going to have imagine the entire look of the world and all the people. The need for other people disappears for me then. And I do write and make my own stories, I like doing that too.

I can't populate the entire visual MMO world on my own, in MMOs I do like to interact with others and create RP with them. AND I can walk off on my own, and I can actually see my char in the world, climbing mountains, exploring hidden corners...
Maybe MMOs are more about being an onlooker for me, but I like this very much too. And since if it's text I don't feel a need for any other people besides me, I don't have to do this online either.

So online for me means with others, means a visual MMO... I guess.

-Norah/Liath-

Second Life.

SWG: CL90 Smuggler, Crimson Phoenix Ace, CL90 Engineer, Europe-Chimaera
AoC: L70 Guardian