Topic: Iconized (Input would be lovely!)

So, I have been able to (somehow) pretty-please my way into a Windows friendly version of the program some folks have been using to play StSC - RPG Chat. While setting up my desktop for some upcoming gaming I'm going to try to pull out of my a- ah, magic hat... I thought "Hmm, I'd sure like this to have a unique icon."

But how do you iconize the concept of "roleplaying", or a program that enables it? For most, a d20 comes to mind. The more masochistic might think of the d4 (hm, that would be cute). But in the case of StSC, they don't use dice, and the program itself is not (yet) put together with dice rolling capability...

So I ended up, at this late hour, tinkering in Photoshop and in Imagistik and made two icons that I managed to convert properly. One is the ancient d20 (google image "roman d20") that was put on auction a few years ago now, the other is a pencil crossing a sword. The latter needs some cosmetic work, but the idea is down ...in pixels.

At the end of all that, what's the point of making the icon ONLY for me? If folks would be interested, and if tdb wouldn't mind terribly, I'd gladly tinker together an icon for the program. (I'm sure that there are others more talented but eh, here I am.) 

Really what I need are more ideas. That fit in 32x32 pixels and will size down to 16x16... Teeeeeeny tiny.

Re: Iconized (Input would be lovely!)

The pencil crossing a sword sounds like a pretty neat idea to me. The D20 doesn't appeal to me - it associates too strongly with a certain rules platform.

Personally, I don't have any ideas.

Yes, I'd go with the pencil and sword crossing too. The D20 is a lovely nostalgic thing for me, but pencil and sword is more generic smile

Replace the sword with a tool we all know and love. How was that called, the big wrench everyone started with?
That'd be an icon for Seed-related RP, but anything else? It's just too broad a concept without even a fixed medium (Like the 35mm tape for cinema) to iconize it with just one symbol, IMO.

And I don't like the theatre masks.

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

i guess it was just called a wrench? But to be honest i cant remember heh..

But its a pretty neat idea actually, of couse the 'message' of such an icon would most likely only be understod by seed players.. smile

No, it was called a piping maintenance tool or something like that. But it was a huge wrench essentially.

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Piping Gear