Topic: The Mountain Guard

Hey folks.

Yeah, I'm still alive. I'm really sorry for disappearing (er.. again.) The whole website thing kind of screwed me up. I wish it could've been different, but I'm not a well person and this is one of the main ways it shows. I know I've said it before but... you know... sorry.

Anyway... the reason I'm posting is that I've started playing LotRO again, and found that it's developed quite nicely since I first played it. I'm in a recently founded dwarven RP kinship called The Mountain Guard. Basically, it's a military organisation charged with finding and dealing with external threats to the dwarven kingdoms. We're still starting out and we have a lot of RP novices, but the will is there, and I think it might turn out to be a very nice kinship.

So, knowing that you're all excellent role-players, I'd like to extend an open invitation to anyone who feels like role-playing a dwarf in LotRO. I'm not expecting an onslaught of applications, but I wanted to let you know we're out here.

The URL for the kinship website is http://mountainguard.mmoguildsites.net/
My main character is called Hrain Flamebraid. At this point, I'm second in command.

Cheers. I miss you guys. I still kind of consider myself a Seed in exile. Might stick my head into the IRC channel and let you bite it off one of these days. wink

/ Ahni

http://ahnion.centralen.net/temp/signature-Seed-community-2.gif

Re: The Mountain Guard

We don't really bit a lot you know smile So you're welcome. Your top10 rank also needs a boost wink

As for LotRO, I'm following it on the sidelines after I dropped it due to disgust with the general hack, slay, run the same basic structure quests anywhere as well as the 'Hey, I killed a dragon AND a Balrog today' standard MMO fare, which goes especially badly with my feelings for LoTR.

However, there's lots of good stuff in the game as well, apart from these things, it's not a bad game at all, it's just kinda... MMO normal on all the conventions. I still enjoyed my time there, and could pop in again. However, I'm playing an elf. Yes, can't be changed, nuh uh. But we certainly could interact, he 'likes' dwarves. 

I also know the other Seeds I played LotRO with were dwarves, so.. You might get some immediate takers smile

Last edited by Darkhawk (2008-04-28 23:32:34)

Yep, I have (had) a level 47 dwarf smile I would love to play again, but I don't know if I'll have enough time in summer, if I will, LotRO os certainly the first MMO I'll head back to (EVE will have to wait until the avatars stuff)

Ahnion wrote:

Hey folks.

Yeah, I'm still alive. I'm really sorry for disappearing (er.. again.) The whole website thing kind of screwed me up. I wish it could've been different, but I'm not a well person and this is one of the main ways it shows. I know I've said it before but... you know... sorry.

Don't worry about it big_smile. There's at least one other person here prone to disappearing spells and it's a small miracle that I've only done it to the Seed community once so far.

Ahnion wrote:

Anyway... the reason I'm posting is that I've started playing LotRO again, and found that it's developed quite nicely since I first played it. I'm in a recently founded dwarven RP kinship called The Mountain Guard. Basically, it's a military organisation charged with finding and dealing with external threats to the dwarven kingdoms. We're still starting out and we have a lot of RP novices, but the will is there, and I think it might turn out to be a very nice kinship.

So, knowing that you're all excellent role-players, I'd like to extend an open invitation to anyone who feels like role-playing a dwarf in LotRO. I'm not expecting an onslaught of applications, but I wanted to let you know we're out here.

The URL for the kinship website is http://mountainguard.mmoguildsites.net/
My main character is called Hrain Flamebraid. At this point, I'm second in command.

Cheers. I miss you guys. I still kind of consider myself a Seed in exile. Might stick my head into the IRC channel and let you bite it off one of these days. wink

/ Ahni

I'm not going near LotRO, because I think it would just infuriate me. If I couldn't stand the films, I doubt I can stand walking around in the MMO.

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

Darkhawk wrote:

We don't really bit a lot you know

Oh yeah, you've all turned into saints since I left. Yeah. Believe that. wink

Darkhawk wrote:

As for LotRO, I'm following it on the sidelines after I dropped it due to disgust with the general hack, slay, run the same basic structure quests anywhere as well as the 'Hey, I killed a dragon AND a Balrog today' standard MMO fare, which goes especially badly with my feelings for LoTR.

Yeah, you basically have to separate LotRO from LotR. The one is based on the other, but the premises are different. There will be a cheapening of the story and additional, outside influences. I understand your position, though I don't share it. The variation has gotten better, even though it's still a WoW-like game. smile

dustman wrote:

Yep, I have (had) a level 47 dwarf smile I would love to play again, but I don't know if I'll have enough time in summer, if I will, LotRO os certainly the first MMO I'll head back to (EVE will have to wait until the avatars stuff)

You'd be most welcome in our ranks. smile

Yesterday, Book 13 was patched into the EU servers. Among other things, it includes the first step of the new "hobby system" - the first part being fishing.
(This is actually one of the reasons I really like LotRO as compared to many other MMOGs: the continued development. It's not as nice as having an actual impact on the world, *sighs longingly* but it means the game isn't half as monotonous as, say WoW.)

It's looking like fun. smile

Oh, and for those of you who haven't kept up to date and are interested, the first LotRO expansion is to be released this Summer. It includes two new classes and - look away now, Darkhawk - the Mines of Moria.

I know, I know. Who wouldn't want to walk the mines of Moria?

Bah, this one-year anniversary offer got me off my feet, so I'm officially back in LotRO, I'll blame you, Ahnion, if I don't like it wink
No worries, anyway, I don't know when I'll get the chance to pop in there, but you can take a look at the Gallery here to see what you should look for smile

I guess I'll start with fishing in the icy river of Thorin's Hall!

Yeah, I'm going to try fishing tonight or so, too. smile

Oh, I should probably warn you that we're not 100% canon-perfect, largely because, well, this is an MMOG, not a Tolkien novella contest. You have to assume that people aren't really that aware of the lore and find a cultural and social identity that works for everyone. This means that we fall back to some extent on the more general notion of dwarves (Forgotten Realms, Warhammer, et.c.) even, on occasion, when it's not strictly what Tolkien had in mind.

Basically, I'm looking at Darkhawk's position from the other side. I like Tolkien, but I also realise that LotrO is not the same world as the one in the books, and in being a role-player, my main focus is to make it work, not staying true to all the lore details.

Hence, the Mountain Guard is a little rougher, a little rowdier and rather less subtle than the dwarves in The Hobbit. I suppose you could say we're more like Gimli in the films than Gimli in the books. (This could of course also be partially ascribed to the fact that we're a military company.)

*brings up his shield to deflect incoming attacks from Darkhawk*

*looks at Ahnion with a raised eyebrow*

You're pretty quick to ascribe views to me wink

You're largely correct of course, except that in any setting, making it work is the most important. That's really a pretty simple truism, so I can't be opposed to that. It comes before everything else.

But.. Yes, if I meet a dwarf, or an elf, in LotRO, I expect a dwarven/elven greeting, and some understanding of the lore, or I will feel elitistically smug and offended at the same time ;D

Which is the same in any setting - it breaks my immersion when people have not made a little effort in knowing the lore/their person/etc. It's not even hard. Fling off a few standard greetings, learn as you go, read 2 pages of Wiki LotR dwarven lore, and there you have it. Same goes for any other setting.

I'm sure that's what people did in that Holotrek event.. Except that they might already all have been ST experts, hehe.

I'm playing LOTRO heavily these days, but not on the RP servers.

However, I may well roll a new dwarf just to pop in from time to time. I also know a group of people on Laurelin (one of the RP servers), so may even be able to hook you up with them. I can't vouch for their RP, so I may have to go check them out first!

Anyway, one thing missing from your post Ahnion, which of the three RP servers are you on?

And nice to see you again - you'll notice that I'm one of the erratic popper-in-and-outers big_smile

Have fun!

We're on Laurelin (of course), as it was the only English RP server at start. I'll probably be  online more now that it's Summer!

Well I might have to roll another dwarf then and see you on Laurelin.

I've had a brief nose around the Guild website smile

I should probably say that I've bowed out again for now. At the onset of Summer, real life kind of took over, and after having been logged in for a total of six hours in three weeks, I figured it was time to reevaluate. I may very well be back this Autumn, but right now, there's too much else to do in this arguably less epic but wonderfully textured game-world of Reality(tm).

Sheesh! I don't know how you find all this interesting stuff to do! wink

Ahnion wrote:

wonderfully textured game-world of Reality(tm).

Endgame sucks though and PvP needs some serious rebalancing.

Midragar wrote:

Endgame sucks though...

Does it now? *brings out pocket book of philosophy* From what I hear from older players, there is a continuing adding of new content - which more than make up for the decline in some attributes. There is even the option of changing class at several stages. It is not possible to change to another race though - a single noteworthy player (of bard class) tried that once, but it was never quite succesful. :demon:

Ill agree with you on the PvP though :mrgreen: