Re: Game source?

Oluf wrote:

Wrathe I guess most of us got the "oh it wont be as good" attitude because seed was, for many of us, the best online game(i would personally go as far as to put it on my top 3, both online and offline) we ever played. That combined with the fact that all of us on this site no doubt noticed what a few bad rp'ers can do to a game like that. It needs to be supervised/GM'ed by someone who is getting paid (and thus can get fired if they aint doing a good job wink )

However you may be right that we have simply gotten used to hang around on our site and irc channel and talk about the good old days and therefore have become like a bunch of old men talking about how the young kids of today have gotten it all wrong smile

Even if we were able to put it up on a private server with the last online build of the game then i doubt i would play it for long. The great thing about seed was that we saw it develop in the direction the playerbase wanted it. Want to customize a chimbot? Give the devs 1-2 weeks and its in-game. Want to grow a tree? Give em a week and its there. I doubt that would be doable with only volunteer work. Part of the problem would be time, and dedicated from the people involved....but for a project such as this i doubt that would be that big of a problem. The second part of quality.... We all know how much crap can be found on the internet, no doubt the quality of a privately run seed world would drop.

Cheers smile

I can agree that the quality of the commercial version will be better run but does not mean that a open-source would be a bad one. It seems that everyone here has the assumption that exactlly the people that worked on the game can make such a thing. You cannot create RP events? You cannot monitor which GM is doing good job or not? Or you less creative than the people in RuneStone? You have the assumption that "X" WoW player will invade your game. No, it will not happen. There will always be bad seeds but you will uproot them. I personally can run good RP stories, or at least decent. I think I can distinguish between a bad GM and a good one. And I can say when there is something not good in the game.  We will never have the same Seed, but we can have something similar with also the same quality of role-playing inside.

Sorry if this post sounds frustrated or pushy but this attitude is strange for me.

Last edited by Zammy (2008-07-11 20:16:54)

Zammy wrote:

You are assuming a lot here. Plus paying that many GMs is not viable. And second, people that are payed do not have that strong incentive to make good RP, passion is much stronger one.  I am sure volunteers will make more exciting events than a payed crew! (As I have seen it in EVE online.) And "spilling" for plots is something that even payed GMs cannot guarantee.

That's assuming a paid crew would have no passion tongue.
There's also the matter of a sort of guarantee of minimum level of skill and quality, passion cannot guarantee that (as *I* have seen in other games where players run the RP tongue). I'd rather not see 'events' at all (too artificial), but more like it was in Seed: you just RP and so do the GMs, and some of the time you don't even know if a character is a GM or dev or not.

If GMs come from the community... this one? Not many of us would have the time and not all would want to. From a broader community who flock to the game after it becomes open source?

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

That's assuming a paid crew would have no passion tongue. Maybe you are right. Lets see it does not matter because I believe money does not matter.

There's also the matter of a sort of guarantee of minimum level of skill and quality, passion cannot guarantee that (as *I* have seen in other games where players run the RP tongue). This could also be monitored. There could be a quality thing that you can submit for feedback for example, solutions can be devised. A way to say that you did not like certain event.

I'd rather not see 'events' at all (too artificial), but more like it was in Seed: you just RP and so do the GMs, and some of the time you don't even know if a character is a GM or dev or not. Me too, but there are 100 registered users here not 5000, sad To have something to demand when you pay is different, I agree.

If GMs come from the community... this one? Not many of us would have the time and not all would want to. From a broader community who flock to the game after it becomes open source? I am sure there will be enough people to run events. Even having 10 ppl that are storytelling regularly you will have a pretty decent constant storyline.

Ok, I am not saying that Seed open will be better than  a payed one. I am just saying that you want something it will never be, and you will never be satisfied with something that will be close. It will maybe slowly develop (btw if we see not game projects in the open-source they actually develop faster than closed source, and better eventually.) but it will have a constant growing. It will not fail because of no commercial success. (Ok, we will have maybe unstable and laggy server but this are just problems that can be fixed.)

Last edited by Zammy (2008-07-11 20:38:07)

Zammy wrote:

I'd rather not see 'events' at all (too artificial), but more like it was in Seed: you just RP and so do the GMs, and some of the time you don't even know if a character is a GM or dev or not. Me too, but there are 100 registered users here not 5000, sad To have something to demand when you pay is different, I agree.

There is no reason for it to work any differently with unpaid volunteers. Events are a bad medium.

Zammy wrote:

If GMs come from the community... this one? Not many of us would have the time and not all would want to. From a broader community who flock to the game after it becomes open source? I am sure there will be enough people to run events. Even having 10 ppl that are storytelling regularly you will have a pretty decent constant storyline.

Ok, I am not saying that Seed open will be better than I a payed one. I am just saying that you want something it will never be, and you will never be satisfied with something that will be close. It will maybe slowly develop (btw if we see not game projects in the open-source they actually develop faster than closed source, and better eventually.) but it will have a constant growing. It will not fail because of no commercial success. (Ok, we will have maybe unstable and laggy server but this are just problems that can be fixed.)

Or I might just not want the thing that *can* be tongue. If it would actually come close then I might be interested. I did say so.
Nothing wrong with not jumping into it head-over-heels.

-Norah/Liath-

Hey
I have to chip in on this wink
Its so cool to see the forum still alive and kicking wink (Sorry I have been absent)
Im sure if the IP get oppended, we are some that will do some work to see Seed just to see YOU and Seed running again!
I know that Hatetank and I (and others) might have all the graphics some where wink
I would love to see the "My" Canyon and Hatetanks Steambath filled with love stories and sleezy diplomates!!
Great to se the our baby is still breathing.... who knows maybe she will crawl or walk one day wink

Tom

So, lets not start saying how open Seed will never be so good until we do not see it. Lets talk like that when we actually have a game running and is not good. As I said now, we wait.

TommBombadil wrote:

Hey
I have to chip in on this wink
Its so cool to see the forum still alive and kicking wink (Sorry I have been absent)
Im sure if the IP get oppended, we are some that will do some work to see Seed just to see YOU and Seed running again!
I know that Hatetank and I (and others) might have all the graphics some where wink
I would love to see the "My" Canyon and Hatetanks Steambath filled with love stories and sleezy diplomates!!
Great to se the our baby is still breathing.... who knows maybe she will crawl or walk one day wink

Tom

I am just an enthusiast, I have no idea how to make a 3d mmorpg. But people learn. So you can count on me.  I think you can count on most people here even if only for  playing and testing the game (bug reporting and suggestions.)

Last edited by Zammy (2008-07-11 21:00:46)

Zammy wrote:

Lets talk like that when we actually have a game running and is not good.

That's what I have been saying: I'll have to wait and see, if anything happens to the IP at all to begin with.
In one way money does matter: if you're getting money for what you do (developing, GMing), that means you can spend your worktime on the game.

-Norah/Liath-

Norah wrote:
Zammy wrote:

Lets talk like that when we actually have a game running and is not good.

That's what I have been saying: I'll have to wait and see, if anything happens to the IP at all to begin with.
In one way money does matter: if you're getting money for what you do (developing, GMing), that means you can spend your worktime on the game.

Yeap, I was referring to GMs. I think we can have good GMs without money. Art and programming might not be that good though as usually the quality people have lots of real work but I think they can always chip in to help out.

Sorry to edit again but there can be volunteer donation, so the money can go to developers for example. Just an idea that will probably have problems but as I said, everything could be solved.

Last edited by Zammy (2008-07-11 21:19:31)

Hey Tom, long time no see here, hope you've been having fun out in Real Life (tm) smile

And sleazy diplomats? You must be referring to Thosam wink

Last edited by Darkhawk (2008-07-12 00:58:17)

So.. I hate to bring up old stuff and specially like this.. But has there been any updates? The passion that Seed brings up in all of us.. This thread really shows it smile