Re: List of games what are suggested for roleplaying

I haven't been into a MUSH in years, but I loved the enviroment. Seed to me was so good, because it was a MUSH with pictures. It just made it that bit more immersive. But I could immerse in MUSHes without a problem.

I did have some wierd moments on Seed where I could almost hear the words rather than read them wink The first half hour in game was always wierd because it was too 'quiet', before words took shape for me again!

Fallen Earth:

http://fallenearth.com/index.htm

Though it's not something anyone'll be playing anytime soon. Last I heard it's still at least 1.5 years from release, and beta hasn't even started.

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

I've just been looking at the site for Roma Victor. As both a roleplayer and a historical wargamer, it looks to be a VERY interesting game. It requires purchase of an initial subscription before play, but after that, you pay nothing to play. Instead, you can convert real money to game money to finance your character, though someone who spends a lot of time in-game could theoretically do without and pay nothing.

The game has been intended as a historically accurate version of 2nd Century Europe under the Roman Empire. Currently, Britannia is the only province on the map, but this will be gradually expanded.

If the site blurb is to be believed, then it has all the elements that should be present in Ryzom and are missing- none-military player controlled groups, the ability to construct buildings, player-owned structures with variable access settings, and the ability to employ NPCs as servants and bodyguards. PvP is present- it would hardly be a realistic depiction of the Roman empire without combat. But the damage and injury system seems more like the Seed medbay injuries than hit points, and there are more serious consequences to death than just respawning.

I'd advise people to take a look- I'm going to give it a try.

http://www.roma-victor.com/

(Strangely enough, the best description of the game features is in the "status" section.)

Last edited by Tantavalist (2006-10-23 15:29:18)

Sounds very interesting in theory, but I wonder if the players will be up to the challenge of playing it historically correctly.

I doubt that it will be completely true to history- I don't think most players will have the knowledge to do so. Also, there's the fact that female characters would be very limited in a purely historical setting. But however it turns out, it seems more aimed at RPing than most MMO games.

I was in the beta for Roma Victor.

Its a shame that I never really gave that game a bigger chance then i did however.... What made me run away really fast was the overall look of the game. The grapichs was...well, ugly imo. The client looked like some old ultima online client...
We all know not to judge a game on the gfx.... but after i had been running around in a ugly looking city for a little while with no idea on what to do i gave up.

Imo it was a bad move of them to make their own engine. They have said that there was no engine that gave them the control over the game that they wanted and that was why they made their own. But i think that was a bad move as it must have taken a lot of dev time to complete.

The good things about RV would be: mature playerbase, a decent RP setting, pretty advanced skill system if i remember correct (both good and bad, but i would rate it good in most cases wink ), the plan is to have a huge gameworld

If the game does deliver what it promises, it could be very interesting, indeed. I would love to play a tavern-keeper/brewmaster or something like that. Judging from the forums, the game is incomplete and buggy, though.

Occasionally, world size has long since stopped impressing me. Usually it's better to have a small, well-working one than a large one that's buggy or too silent.

http://ahnion.centralen.net/temp/signature-Seed-community-2.gif

Ahnion wrote:

If the game does deliver what it promises, it could be very interesting, indeed. I would love to play a tavern-keeper/brewmaster or something like that. Judging from the forums, the game is incomplete and buggy, though.

Well, don't judge a game on that. The forums always said the same about Seed.

-Norah/Liath-

Norah wrote:

Well, don't judge a game on that. The forums always said the same about Seed.

And they were actually right. We all know Seed was buggy and incomplete, but the game was simple enough to work anyway. RV doesn't seem to share that.

I'll probably pay the subscription fee and give Roma Victor a try anyway. As much as I've enjoyed Ryzom, looking through the forums and dev posts I'm coming to the realisation that the company seems to have no intention of expanding the RP side beyond what is already there. People talk about various potential changes or additions that would improve RP, but all that the roadmap consists of from the launch through to the furthest future plans is one PvP-based addition after another. Apparently, they have decided that the big money comes from barely literate PvP-monkeys and that the game is to become yet another World of Warcraft clone. A tragic waste, as it has the potential to become so much more, but there doesn't seem to be anything better around yet. I'll keep looking.

Hehe you sure dont seem to enjoy SoR anymore wink

If it wasnt for uru-live i would most likely have giving either roma victor or face of mankind an other chance. But I am going to wait for uru and see how that is before i start giving out more money on potentially crappy games....

I'm hanging in SoR until I find something better. I am starting to get to the point where I realise that I really don't want to grind any more, though, so I'm going to do my best to find a point in the game where I can just play my character out without having to spend hours chopping up kitins or digging for materials. Whether this is possible or not remains to be seen.

I might have given Roma Victor a try despite waiting for URU Live, but when I went to their website, I didn't like what I saw.

-Norah/Liath-

In regards to SoR, I think you're both being too negative Tanta and Ahnion.

Of course the devs focus more on things that will give them money than on RP. And of course we could wish for a better game to RP in. Also, yes, there's a lot of grind if you wish that.

However, I have just been confirmed in my initial viewpoint coming into SoR: That with RP'ers, any game can be incredibly interesting and suck away (what remains of) your real life. You can play a barmaid full time, or a hunter going into the wilds, a beggar on the streets, etc. not grinding at all, if you wish. You just need to be around other RP'ers. I have 40 names in my Friends list now, who are all RP'ers. It gives me immense pleasure logging in and RP'ing (ok, so I am actually grinding a lot right now, but.. wink).

Other games and other settings might have their own appeal too. A very few games (Seed, possibly URU) might have better developer focus on RP. But when it comes down to it, RP will find a way. I have had as enjoyable RP moments in SoR as I had in Seed. There's a lot SoR does not have that Seed had, but also vice versa. It is possible to RP other situations and context in SoR, than was possible in Seed.

I for one, don't want to bemoan what is not there. The devs decide that, and in SoR, we won't influence them. Better to focus on what IS there. And that's RP. I also think there is amazing potential in our site, in regards to drawing online RP'ers together so we can enrich our gaming experience.

Realistically, other games won't be worse or better than SoR, if there are enough RP'ers present. The only game that might be better, from its premises, is URU. But I still think what matters most are the roleplayers, and it is important to note, at least I do it, that I enjoy the RP moments in SoR as much as I enjoyed them in Seed.

And this is not a defense of SoR as such. It's just a game. We create the context. It could be any game with minimum requirements fulfilled. SoR is a huge, well-done game in its own right, somewhat original (and french, it shows in places, heh), and that's that.

Last edited by Darkhawk (2006-10-24 19:23:09)

I agree with you largely, Darkhawk, but there are sides you're not taking into account in your assessment. One of these is what the game requires of players to just be able to get anywhere within the game mechanics. I found the idea of being a forager rather nice, but I quickly realised that there is no way I can avoid fighting and grinding a great deal if I'm to be an active forager. I don't need to be. I find the game mechanics rather dull at length anyway. I'm there for the RP. The problem is that until we find a place and settle down, it's going to be very tricky for me to get around and meet people, so I'm a bit turned off towards the whole thing at present.
Right now I'm just kind of taking some time off, trying to get my inspiration back.

I find the game mechanics rather dull at length anyway. I'm there for the RP. The problem is that until we find a place and settle down, it's going to be very tricky for me to get around and meet people, so I'm a bit turned off towards the whole thing at present.

ding!!! 10 points to ahnion big_smile

I feel the same. The (very) little RP I did in SoR I did enjoy. But the game forces me to much to do things i am not interrested in. No doubt other games is doing this as well.... but that isnt an exuse imo wink

I'm still going to play, though. Not giving up yet. wink

Funnily I found Roma Victor at the same time as Seed, and I've had it as a homepage these last few months. I was very close to signing up, but then Seed whooshed me away.

It a historical period I'm interested in and for years I actually dreamed about setting up a MUSH based around the Celts, so I might yet be tempted to give it a go. But for now, my game time is so limited that as long as can get a couple of hours of quality RP a week, I'd even RP being an elephant wink

Esme

AN elephant might have trouble getting quality RP Esme. But at least it can listen of course wink

If that is your view on roleplaying an elephant I really suggest you try playing the pen and paper scenario "Samsara" by Jacob Schmith Madsen (yes, he was a co-writer on Seed). In this scenario the roles change every scene - except the main character Purusha which rotates among the players (yes, Purusha was Jacobs screen name on the Seed forums). So, some of the, very interesting, roles you are going to play includes a snake, hyena, tiger, monkey and the white (but depressed) elephant of the god Indra. And that elephant is quite fun to RP I can assure you! The scenario is in danish however... but you can find it here http://rlyeh.trc.dk/pub/scenarier/scenarie.php3?id=71

I can recommend it as the basis for my best RP experience - ever! :mrgreen:

Last edited by Frakel (2006-10-25 21:06:31)

Lord of the Ring Online anyone?

Zorg
AD Game Master

Age of Conan is more likely to appeal to me than Lord of the Rings. I've always been an avid reader of the Conan books, and the chance to play in the original Swords-and Sorcery setting has me excited already. I'm now looking to start upgrading my PC, so I can play it when it finally comes out. The PC specs problem is the only thing that could deter me from at least trying it- it's Conan.

I will probably try Age of Conan, too. I have an ambiguous attitude towards Conan. While the world is cliché and highly sexist and all kinds of bad things, I love the grittiness and unforgiving style (did you know that Howard was inspired by Lovecraft in his creation of the Hyborean Age?) to a point where it actually outweighs my hesitation. Of course, in the end, it's all dependent on whether or not the actual game is any good.

The Cliches and stereotypes were purely a product of the era- Howard wrote the original Conan stories in the 1930s, after all, when such attitudes were the norm. There was a note on the site that the setting has been "updated" to remove the blatant racism and sexism, since neither was integral to the setting- simply a reflexion of the author and the times he lived in.

And yes, the stories were first published in "Weird Tales", alongside such authors as HP Lovecraft. Reading the stories, it's easy to see that the supernatural side of the Hyborean Age, the spells and the demons, was heavily influenced by Lovecraft. That's one of the big attractions of the setting to me. There are no whilte magicians, everyone who studies sorcery is automatically dealing with dark forces that Man Was Not Meant To Know Of.

The game will be the greatest action-oriented online game ever, as long as it delivers what it promises. But we all know better than to simply trust the game blurb by now, don't we?

The problem I find with most MMOGs is that if you do find RP in them, you are usually limited to doing things that have no impact on the world. So, while I like social RP as much as story RP, I have to have both these days (and trying to fit RP around some lame quest or mob spawn isn't the same). And this is why I'm in love with my text MUSHes--they give me this in a way I've only once come close to in my PnP RPG days (and that was mostly because we players RP'ed by email and chat to develop the social aspect--I'm too self conscious to act out a role in a face-to-face session).