Topic: Time in SoR

One question that has arisen for me is, what is the timescale between Atys and the real world?

The days and nights fly past, and the seasons turn quickly. But we're still referring to "tomorrow" and "In a day or two" using the real world timescale. Does Atys have a vastly greater rotation than Earth, meaning that time passes as for the real world and the days/seasons move at an accelerated pace, or are we simply playing "compressed" snapshots of our character's lives? And if the latter is the case, shouldn't our characters be aging at an extreme rate from our point of view?

It's something that I've wondered about since I started playing. However, for Kayleedawn and my character Naetin, it's suddenly become much more than an academic problem, and I think we should agree on a standard.

Re: Time in SoR

According to sources, one year on Atys corresponds to two real-world months. I think the days, in theory, are perceptively as long to Atysians as our Earth days are to us. The latter is just an impression, of course.

http://ahnion.centralen.net/temp/signature-Seed-community-2.gif

QUESTION 1)
How long is one year in real time? And one season in real time?

ANSWER
The equivalences ryzom time/real time are the following ones:
1 year of Jena (JY for Jena Year) = 2 real-time months
1 Atysian cycle = 2.57 weeks = 18 real-time days
1 Atysian season = 108 hours = 4.5 real-time days
1 Atysian month = 36 hours = 1.5 real-time days
1 Atysian week (6 days) = 432 minutes = 7 hours and 12 minutes
1 Atysian day = 72 minutes = 1 hour and 12 minutes

How long is a year of Jena, and what is an Atysian cycle?
Only the year of Jena corresponds in the background to the Earthly year. The periods of time as the seasons, months, weeks and days are four times shorter on Atys than on Earth. An Atysian season is four times shorter than a earthly season. The same thing for a day. That's why the cycle was created: this period of time corresponds to the common vision of the year (4 seasons, 12 months...), as a revolution of the planet around the sun.

Summary:
One year of Jena is constituted by 4 cycles, 16 seasons (4 spring-summer-autumn-winter successions), 48 months, 240 weeks and 1440 days.
An Atysian cycle is constituted by 4 seasons, 12 months, 60 weeks and 360 days.
Note that the year begins with spring.
Atysian days contain 24 hours. The number of minutes and seconds is identical to the Earth system, but obviously, everything is four times shorter on Atys.

If we give the equivalences real time/Ryzom time, it is necessary to clarify the information above, or one year of Jena will be likened to a period of 12 Atysian months, while it lasts 48 Atysian months (but 12 ground months).

See, this is somewhat annoying if I read it right. It means we'd age a year in 2 months. So we'll be holding a lot of birthdays wink I've never liked fast-aging in my chars, but apart from that, I guess 1 year passing each 2 months is reasonable if you play and develop your char often. This means my char will have to have his 20th birthday soon, heh.

1 year in game  = 2 months real time... Good to know what the conversion is. Assuming that characters start around 18 years old, this means that people who started playing when the game came out have only just reached their thirties with their oldest characters, and we'd have to play for several real-time years before aging became a real problem. No mechanics to represent it in-game, of course, but then, no characters are old enough for that to be needed.

Last edited by Tantavalist (2006-10-29 05:22:23)

This does raise some interesting questions...

Do Female Homins give birth? In that case a nine month pregnancy would be resolved in 13.5 days :mrgreen:

And what about a regular IC conversation... sometimes they last for several realtime hours... does that mean our characters have talked and talked for days...

And do we know anything of Homin aging... or when they are considered grownups?

I imagine Merculles is quite young... equivalent of a 16 or 17 year old human... That would be approximately 5 Jena Years - right? The difference would be quite important if you walk around introducing yourself as a five year old...

Last edited by Frakel (2006-10-29 22:46:11)

Frakel wrote:

I imagine Merculles is quite young... equivalent of a 16 or 17 year old human... That would be approximately 5 Jena Years - right? The difference would be quite important if you walk around introducing yourself as a five year old...

No.

1 Jena Year = 1 Earth Year = 4 Atys years

So, a person of 16 Earth years would be 16 Jena Years or 64 Atys years.

As for the topic itself - let's just not think about it, okay? It'll never make sense in the small scale anyways. Conversations can indeed last for days, people go on with no sleep easily for a week , and nobody cares what time of day it is when they do stuff. So we'll be far less annoyed by the inconsistencies if we just ignore the whole thing.

Last edited by Kryigerof (2006-10-30 00:24:40)

Agreed Kryigerof

Tantavalist wrote:

No mechanics to represent it in-game, of course, but then, no characters are old enough for that to be needed.

Actually, if I remember Ryzom well, some chars look older than others. If you zoomed in you could see some of the NPCs having wrinkly faces. I'm not sure if that would automatically start showing up on player chars though.

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

Some characters do indeed look older but, as it was with Seed, it's all down to what options were chosen for appearance in character creation, and has nothing to do with gameplay.

Last edited by Tantavalist (2006-10-30 01:40:19)

Kryigerof wrote:

So we'll be far less annoyed by the inconsistencies if we just ignore the whole thing.

I agree