Topic: Persistent World Basic Setting

Persistent World Setting

Obviously, before we start building our own (staggeringly wonderful) persistent world in NWN2, we need to decide on what the hell we should build. I have taken it upon myself to sum up the basic settings and I'll list them as alternatives. If you have more, just add to the list! The idea here is to first decide on what kind of setting we want, so that we can unite on that before we discuss the details of that setting. I have ideas about most of these possibilties, but I'll keep them to myself until we've chosen one.

[death]• Conventional Forgotten Realms Setting.[/death]
The name says it all, really. The whole shebang that NWN2 is really set for. Easiest to do, but, in my not-too-humble opinion, boring and cliché.

[death]• Alternate History Medieval Setting[/death]
Alternate history is always fun, and not too horribly far from fantasy if we aim at a medieval scenario. Usually, alternate history involves some sort of magic and religion. A lot can be done here without losing touch with the gritty depth of reality. This would involve some pretty serious hacking into the NWN2 system and a lot of scripting; that is, besides the creation of the world itself, intellectually speaking.

[death]• Alternate World[/death]
Essentially, a different world, inhabited by humanoids. I have several ideas that could work here, and I'm sure you do as well. There is some challenge in making a world like this feel real, but it is undoubtedly possible. Fundamentally this requires the same as the previous alternative, though probably more of it.

[death]• Realistic Medieval Setting[/death]
There's really not much to say about this one. It speaks for itself. Medieval setting with peasants, feudal system, kings and so on. This could be created with fairly simple methods, and could be very interesting, but it would take a lot of research from everyone who wants to play.

[death]• Science Fiction[/death]
Obviously, while many of the Seedlings prefer sci-fi scenarios, it will be very difficult to create one in NWN2, since it will require a completely new set of models and tilesets. If someone is good enough at modelling and willing to spend inordinate amounts of time on this project, I would happily go with this choice, but unless we have one (or preferrably more) really talented modeller, I can't see it happening.

For myself, I'd probably go with the Alternate History setting. It's something that would be easy to build around and still evocative enough for inspiration.

What do you think? What else could we do? What would work best with the possibilities and desires we have?

http://ahnion.centralen.net/temp/signature-Seed-community-2.gif

Re: Persistent World Basic Setting

Well, I'll be a player, no builder or GM, so it is not up to me to decide.

However, two things.

If you go for something medieval, I've recently done _a lot_ of research into the timeperiod 1100-1280 AD, mindset, aristocracy, geography, history, eating habits, you name it. I'd be happy to play answering machine and referrer-of-links/books, should any builder need it.

Secondly, while I personally think there's a jewel behind any cliché, if you care to delve and create (i.e. I love what I have done with FR myself wink), there are also other, somewhat quick alternatives to the ambitious path (creating a unique setting). There are a lot of fantasy setttings that could be imported into NWN2, if that would appeal to the Makers (TM) more than FR, and if creating a unique world proves to be too much.

Just saying of course, I'll happily play what you come up with. When I have a better computer wink

Hm. I don't think the actual world creation (intellectually speaking) would be a problem. We've got enough acute and inspired minds to work that out. The issue is with how much customisation we have to do, and for an alternate medieval setting, that's not that horribly much, for example. smile

It's unlikely I'd be playing this any time soon due to computer limitations, but I'll give my input anyway:

1) I'm not interested in Forgotten Realms or any other kind of D&D fantasy. Not using a D&D world would, however, cause difficulty, since the rules, especially the magic system, are geared for that.

2) What do you mean by alternate history? Something like Ars Magica with basically a medieval setting but with all the beliefs and superstitions being true? Or some sort of different timeline?

3) If we go for a unique setting, we need to have a clear vision as to what the world is all about. Otherwise everyone will contribute their own great stuff and the world will lose all focus. In my opinion this would require that someone gets a position of authority to dictate what goes into the world and what doesn't.

4) A medieval world would be nice, but it could easily become watered down. For example, there's always the problem that real medieval women rarely got to do any "adventuring" or other such things generally considered interesting content in games. And if we made it more equal, it would not feel as much like medieval anymore. This would apply to peasants etc as well, as they didn't lead such exciting lives either (unless you create some kind of an interesting farming system). Also, we couldn't use many aspects of the engine, like the magic system.

EDIT: Whichever we choose, I'd personally like to see something down-to-earth and rather gritty, not super-epic "everyone's a great here" kind of thing. As for magic, I'd like it to be mysterious, not just another branch of technology ("Hi, did you learn that new firebolt spell already?" "No, I prefer to maximize the efficiency of my healing magics - just need to find some herbs with the correct divinity levels.").

Last edited by Kryigerof (2006-11-07 10:37:29)

In my opinion, Forgotten Realms is the way to go. If you make a different setting you just end up having to cut out half the game or rename things, and under all that artificial twisting it'll still be Forgotten Realms. There's plenty of room in the FR lore to create any atmosphere that you want, and plenty of room to be unique, so I don't really feel the need to cover it up.

SWG: CL90 Smuggler, Crimson Phoenix Ace, CL90 Engineer, Europe-Chimaera
AoC: L70 Guardian

Alternate History: This is what I would like best. I've always liked reading books like that too smile. Also often make stories like that.

If not, I'd say go for an Alternate World.

---

I'd rather not see a true history setting, for various reasons.

Sci-fi: too hard to do, perhaps.

traditional Forgotten Realms: Mwah, not necessarily opposed to it, but it's been done so many times before, and I don't see right now how you could come up with anything that wouldn't feel like we hadn't seen it a hundred times before already, that wouldn't feel clichéd and somewhat boring.
I do usually like the Forgotten Realms games themselves and their stories (not so much the original NWN story), but they don't ever feel like much of a surprise.

-Norah/Liath-
"Do not follow! The milk is not ready, and you are not ready for the milk!"
-Psychonauts: Milkman Conspiracy area

I'd been pondering whether to invest in NWN2 or not, based on what everyone has been saying. But my doubts, as always, are based on the NWN2 default setting- the Forgotten Realms. I've never liked the setting, and personally would never play anything set there. If the persistent world is going to be FR, it looks like I'm saved the purchase.

The fact that the Forgotten Realms are the default setting for the game isn't a problem for anyone who is determined enough. I always end up creating my own settings for my pen-and-paper D&D games, whilst still using the default 3rd edition rules. If there is a model set with so much variation as is advertised, then there really sould be no problem creating something with a bit more originality that the cardboard stereotypes of Forgotten Realms. But then, I'm probably not going to be the one making the persistent world, so it's not really up to me.

heh..compared to the eberron setting FR rules!! The biggest mistake DDO made was going with the new setting instead of using FR imo...

As for the topic at hand:
I dont mind FR, i quite like it actually. However..it has been done sooo many times already and no doubt a lot of perma worlds with similar setting will pop up with time. We might as well go for something different in my opinion.
As for what - I dont really know. Sci-fi would be great but it may be to difficult for us.
An alternate world *can* be good.... but it requires a good setting and has been said before someone who we all apoint as the "leader" tongue

ps. i took a look at the toolset yesterday and was quite impressed...cant wait to test it out some more, but i feel like completing the campaign first so it may take a while smile

Well I don't mind FR much (although I'm more of an Eberron fan and thus must disagree with Olufs previous statement).

If we want to create a new setting it seems to me there are two parts to it.
One is creating the world and the background and I agree  with Ahnion that this part should not be a problem but it will take some time.

The other part is fitting the the system and the world together.
That has to depend on how much customization can be done with the toolset. But if this is basicaly D&D then you will have to make a world that will fit the system not just the other way around.

I'll probably get NWN2 sometime later this week and I'll be happy to play with you guys no matter what the world is smile

Kryigerof wrote:

EDIT: Whichever we choose, I'd personally like to see something down-to-earth and rather gritty, not super-epic "everyone's a great here" kind of thing. As for magic, I'd like it to be mysterious, not just another branch of technology ("Hi, did you learn that new firebolt spell already?" "No, I prefer to maximize the efficiency of my healing magics - just need to find some herbs with the correct divinity levels.").

This is undoubtedly my kind of thinking, as well. If we do take that path, I've got... rather a lot of ideas to heap into the project. Magic and mystic knowledge should be obscure and dangerous. The occult is still interesting even after you realise what it's about because of the texture and detail of it. On no account should we let it deteriorate into mundane chatter about how best to use a fireball spell.

From what I can see, we've got some harsh anti-FR stances, which kind of makes FR a bad choice, since we'll want to have as many people along as possible. Alternative History is strong. As it looks now, that's what I'd expect would make the most sense.

Don't put too much weight on my opinions as I'll hardly have a 2,4GHz processor any time soon.

Another possibility would be to come up with a setting which already exists and adapt it for use with the NWN2 engine. There are many pen-and-paper RPG settings which would work well with the D&D core ruleset, and could therefore be easily adapted to the NWN2 setting. My own favourites for this would be:-

Talislanta (For a fantasy feel which is very different to default D&D but with the same structure. Probably one of the easiest to implement, but the least RP-intensive setting)

Shadowrun (D&D meets Cyberpunk)

Fading Suns (Fantasy and Sci-Fi meet, picture Dune or a lighter in tone Warhammer 40,000)

The Dying Earth (The inspiration for the D&D magic system, and a true classic RPG)

Of course, if I had my dream setting, then setting up an online version of the Empire of the Petal Throne setting would be ideal- fantasy, distinct from regular D&D but can be done with the rules, and the original RP-intensive setting.

On a different note, whilst I don't have the game and won't be working on the building of the setting, I do have 20 years experience in running being a pen-and-paper GM, and have designed my own settings more than once. Feel free to ask for any advice on constructing the background details of the setting (in fact, you'll be hard pressed to stop me from giving such at great length).

Hey, it's been a bit since I last posted, but I think I should throw in my two cents because I was one of the people suggesting NWN2.

I am not going to be purchasing NWN2 for a while, mostly because it would destroy my laptop's pathetic Radeon Xpress 200 graphics card. Either way though, I'd love to get involved in planning and building the PW. Unfortunately I have next to no experience modelling besides some basic work a while ago in Valve's Hammer editor, but I'm probably going to pick up a book on 3D Studio Max sometime this week, because it's something I'm rather interested in.

Anyways, as to the setting. I'd love to see an alternate medieval style world, not one based on actual history, but with the same flavour of medieval times (think of something like The Witcher, but a bit less dark). I'd absolutely be up for an sci-fi settings people could think of, but other than that I'd like to stay away from D&D style settings. Fantasy's just seen way too much now. And Elves.

P.S. A number of people seem to be avoiding NWN2 for the moment, either due to graphics cards or processing speed, so it might be a better idea to set up something in the original NWN (which I already own all of the expansions for big_smile)

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/coarsesand/graffisigtransparent.png

just a small note for you kryig - I dont have 2.4 ghz either, i am running the game on a p4 1.8 ghz...of couse many of the settings are very low and my computer doesnt seem to like it when i go "inside" (ie in buildings etc) as it can lag a bit there.... but nothing that keeps me from playing the game.

This is undoubtedly my kind of thinking, as well. If we do take that path, I've got... rather a lot of ideas to heap into the project. Magic and mystic knowledge should be obscure and dangerous. The occult is still interesting even after you realise what it's about because of the texture and detail of it. On no account should we let it deteriorate into mundane chatter about how best to use a fireball spell.

I agree with this too although I am still wondering how you will go about implementing this in the D&D system. I mean with this groups roleplaying the setting will most likely not be a big issue but if the D&D magic system is used, magic is hardly obscure and certainly not dangerous(Except for wish perhaps). I guess a wizard could roleplay saving his Magic Missiles for emergencies because he's afraid they will let demons into the world or some such but that does kinda make the wizard underpowered.

Of course if we are not tampering too much with the D&D-ruleset we could just disallow spellcasting-classes at least to some extent(like only half of your levels can be in spellcasting-classes). But I guess that all comes down to how adaptable the rules are as I don't think the standard D&D rules are the most suitable for this kind of world. (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay or some such would have been more appropriate)

Tantavalist: Implementing another PnP RPG's world would be an option, given. The problem with choices like Shadowrun and Fading Suns (if I don't misremember) is that they would require as much modelling as a sci-fi world would.

As for the bit about how much can actually be done in NWN2, well, there were haks that introduced spell-book based magic to NWN.. just to point out how deep you can actually change things.

Sandling: I've been kind of thinking along those lines as well, actually. I'd be willing to do so, even though I'm loving NWN2 in style and graphics. Also, of course, using NWN would give us access to immense amounts of custom content.

What do the rest of you think about this? As Oluf said, it's probably possible to run NWN2 on a slower computer with all the settings pulled down, but it's likely to be fiddly.

Heya,
As soon as I get the game I want to help you making our little world. I'm not too up to date in RPG standards (or whatnot, I mean FR, E.. , and others), but I can read, just point my eyes in the right direction smile
Just a wild idea: We could start with a standards NWN2 world, and slowly changing it to our liking, this way, we can go deeper-and-deeper into the levels of modding, as of now, I guess we don't know what can be or can't be done. hmm Just shout at me if I'm stupid wink

I'd be happy to go for the original Neverwinter Nights. I did some stuff with the toolset back then too (nothing radical like changing the rules or anything, though, but I did some scripting). I'd be happy to help with the work some time in the spring.

As for the world: whatever we make, we should start small, like Seed was except even smaller. The NWN part of our community isn't that big so making a huge world from the start would be not only wasteful but detrimental to the experience.

Last edited by Kryigerof (2006-11-08 23:34:11)

Kryigerof wrote:

As for the world: whatever we make, we should start small, like Seed was except even smaller. The NWN part of our community isn't that big so making a huge world from the start would be not only wasteful but detrimental to the experience.

Again, I absolutely agree. The focus should be on the roleplaying. Exploring could be part of that, but that's best done with some GM-ing involved. Also, a PW has all possibilities of step-wise expansion. We'll add new areas when we need them. The logical focus area would be a city or town.

Oh, and I offer to act GM in this world of ours. We need a couple of those to make things interesting and I really don't mind doing it on an irregular basis.

I am all for gm'ing as well... i guess most of us here is big_smile

I'd say go for developing a world in NWN2. And take it easy. Although starting small, ambitions are probably high, us being who we are. So it'll take some time. Months, to build such a world. In that time, more people will probably upgrade to be able to play, and new custom content would be out.

I've played NWN a lot, both offline and online. I'd like to see something 'new'. But I'll play either way of course smile

If we don't go with a standard setting it maybe would be easiest if we use some kind of 'build-up' scenario, for example the cliche one would be the sail-, space-, other ship or maybe plane crash somewhere in the nowhere, either using mostly standard landscape, plant and wildlife models with only few own models at start or a Seed like scenario with a very limited full custom area and both expanding as we play along.

Quanto Solo wrote:

If we don't go with a standard setting it maybe would be easiest if we use some kind of 'build-up' scenario, for example the cliche one would be the sail-, space-, other ship or maybe plane crash somewhere in the nowhere, either using mostly standard landscape, plant and wildlife models with only few own models at start or a Seed like scenario with a very limited full custom area and both expanding as we play along.

An interesting idea. It's worth keeping as a possibility, but it is not what the thread is about. smile

Quanto Solo wrote:

This sounds incredibly interesting to me for a few reasons, but those reasons hinge on my being able to get a copy of 3DS MAX and a tutorial for it. Even if that isn't possible, the scenario sounds promising and serves as a nice homage to Seed.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/coarsesand/graffisigtransparent.png

I'd go for  the "Alternate History Medieval Setting"

The available tileset are good enough for this yet the setting being alternate i leaves room open for some not so medieval additions (like steam-tech in Warhammar) or at the very least give a more interesting setting to live in than the real medieval kind of working day and night and die from various diseases just after your 16th birthday.