Topic: The Matrix Online

As some of you might know, I've been playing some MxO as of late. I like the look and feel, unlimited character respecs, cheap clothing and abundance of roleplayers. I'm on the Syntax server, because the "unofficial RP server" Linenoise merged with it some time ago and brought all its roleplayers along. Let me know if you want to join me.

Role-Playing
The Matrix Online makes it very easy for a person who wants to Role Play their character to do so. People seem more likely to role play in this setting than in your typical fantasy or medieval setting because they don't feel as silly doing it. Either that or they're not as worried about screwing something up; such as should I use a 'thee' or a 'thy' here? In the Matrix Online it's a modern setting so role playing your character could mean as little as acting ingame as you would in every day real life. And if you wanted you could even take it as extreme as you wanted.

The Storyline Events definitely help with the role playing aspects of the game. Interacting with known entities from the movies does a lot to make one feel more in touch with their character. The different factions also go a long way in this aspect; giving the player several diverse options of play style to choose from. You could be the determined Zionist, struggling to survive in the unstable peace after the war. Or maybe work for the Machines, trying to reinstate their dominance over the Matrix. And last but definitely not least you could work for the Frenchman which has a kind of organized crime feel to it. -MMORPG.com Matrix Online review

By request:

The Matrix Online Download Minimum System Requirements

* Microsoft Windows Millennium, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP or above
    * 512 MB of RAM
    * DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with programmable shader (ATI Radeon 8xxx, 9xxx and above, Nvidia GeForce 3 and above, excluding GeForce4 MX) and 64MB VRAM
    * PC with 1.4 GHz CPU
    * DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    * 7 GB available hard disk drive space
    * ATA 100/DMA or faster hard drive
    * 56.6K modem with internet access
    * Keyboard and mouse

The Matrix Online Recommended System Requirements:

* Microsoft Windows XP or above
    * 1 GB of RAM
    * ATI Radeon 9xxx and above DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with 128 MB VRAM
    * 2.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    * DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card with EAX support
    * 10 GB available hard disk drive space
    * ATA 133/DMA or faster hard drive
    * Broadband internet connection
    * Keyboard and mouse

SWG: CL90 Smuggler, Crimson Phoenix Ace, CL90 Engineer, Europe-Chimaera
AoC: L70 Guardian

Re: The Matrix Online

ooooooo, now that is tempting me to look.

Me too. Except for the System Requirements unfortunately smile

It's really very adjustable. I bet it'll run just fine on the minimum specs.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/ommer/screenshot_1.jpg

Last edited by Mir (2006-12-16 01:31:18)

Abundance of clothing you say....

Maybe I ought to get my fashion whore on. big_smile

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q125/coarsesand/graffisigtransparent.png

This may be interesting. I'd play it for a while for my "research" if there is some kind of free trial.

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Of couse i shouldnt be thinking like this but..... I heard when it was released that it was in a very poor condition... i guess that is not the case anymore? smile

I will check it out if there is a free trial i think! Its an interresting setting

So was AO when it was first released but it's still going so they must've fixed it.

Once I join an RP faction, I'll ask if they can give me some buddy keys (for the 10-day trial). That might be a while off yet though, as there are lots of RP factions of varying hardcore levels to choose from. If you're in a hurry, the box version is $10 on amazon and download version $20 on Direct2Drive. Box version should give you 1-3 buddy keys so it would definetly help in giving people the chance to try the game out for free.

I have to hype some other features yet:
-community on the Syntax server is excellent, you get advice and free stuff all the time
-you can explore every building and every room in the city (excluding mission areas)
-the combat interlock system makes for some stunning wire-fu animations
-crafting is simple and everyone can do it without a separate grind (good thing in my opinion but our crafter peoples might disagree)

Some bad things:
-many of the roleplayers are new and don't stay in character consistently, or talk about game mechanics in-character
-there are OOCers at major gathering points
-some things that render a window into the game, such as reading in-world newspapers take a long time to load
-lots of shameless recruiters for factions
-not a lot of special moves for low-level combat (though the hotbars fill up quickly with other kinds of abilities)

I'm Thuong on the Syntax server if you want to talk to me ingame.

Buddy keys? But you still need to buy the game so someone can give them to you, right?

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

No, if you have a buddy key you can download the client for free and play for 10 days.

Oh. Then I think I should humbly ask for one *^_^*

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in my perception the list of people who have asked for buddy keys so far in chronological order is:
1. Skanx
2. Sandling
3. Wheri
4. Oluf

That's enough for a Hovercraft crew! I'll start asking about getting our craft and your red pills....I'll report back once I get a viable offer from a good faction.

Well.. I'd like of them buddy keys myself. I'll get a new computer in a month or so, and heck. 3 MMO's at the same time is no problem!

5. Darkles

This quest for red pills will be awesome. Does anyone mind working for Zion? We should all probably work for the same organization so we can be in the same crew and RP through the rep-altering missions....though RPing with people from other organizations could be could be fun too. And I'll need to start working on Zion faction if I'm going to form a crew for us. Zion would be my choice because it's the most obvious faction to play for most characters, and probably the most lore-centric of them all.

What options do we have besides Zion?

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Im up for giving it a complete try if someone gets me a buddy key. Not going to have a lot of time in a few months, but it's worth looking at.

We're all humans but we can work for Zion, The Machines or The Frenchman.

Frenchman? I think I have to go to the nearest rental <_<

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Frenchman is a powerful Exile, he runs an organized crime type of thing.

I think you mean the Merovingian, the dude from the two sequels. He does have a French accent though, even though he usually only swears in French.

He is also called The Frenchman i think...not that my matrix-lore is completly up to date tongue

Yes, they mean the Merovingian, who appears in the second and third films and generally just gets called the Frenchman by everyone.

I don't think I'll be trying the Matrix online- I'm already getting into City of Villains, and will be giving URU a try soon, so my MMORPG time is already full. The idea of us forming a Hovership crew and having free trial keys (I instinctively dislike the idea of a game that doesn't just give free trials to anyone who wants them) is getting me wondering whether I can cram another one in, though...

But he's not actually French wink

For anyone who hasn't found it yet:
http://thematrixonline.station.sony.com/

Also, the buddy keys were apparently released in May or something to people with subscriptions at the time. I'll keep looking for them ingame but they might prove to be hard to come by. If anyone comes across an active trial promotion on a gaming site or such, be sure to let everyone know. There have been such promotions on FilePlanet and Stratics in the past but I don't know of any that are currently running.