Topic: Resurrection

We should probably decide how we're going to RP the resurrection feature, as it might prove a source of inconsistency.

As many probably know, the game lore explains respawning as Kami/Karavan intervention - quite literally, they bring you back from the dead so you can continue serving them. Though plausible, it is a bit of a stretch in my opinion, and definately trivializes death.

Another alternative would be to just assume you just almost died and ended up in the respawn point one way or another.

I don't feel strongly either way. Any other suggestions? Opinions?

Re: Resurrection

As I've done it so far, I've played it as being knocked unconscious and ending up back at the camp. It's a stretch, but I don't know. I just don't like the "dying" bit. I wish MMOG makers would just stop using it.

http://ahnion.centralen.net/temp/signature-Seed-community-2.gif

Yeah, hmm.. Resurrection. OF course it takes a lot of tension out of the game knowing you can do anything with impunity. However, there is an added RP thing in regards to the Kami and Karavan. Being resurrected by them is like chosing sides or getting 'stained' by having to be resurrected by someone you hate.

Anyway, I'm RP'ing it as the following:

When you get trashed and fall over, you're mortally hurt, yet still alive (you can talk - there is opportunity for RP'ing moans and cries for help as you lie there dying). When you get to the point where you actually pass away, you can 'chose' to be magically/technologically teleported to a Kami or Karavan enclave, where you are then quickly healed. No dying therefore. This also means that in places where there is no Kami/Karavan enclave (like the wilderness you came from) you do actually die. Besides. You can heal someone up from the 'dead' state by just 'healing' them. That must indicate they are not dead, but just mortally hurt, lying there.

This has the following benefits: We do not die, but you CAN chose to die in a battle if you want (delete the char). We can RP a few extra things to spice up the whole deal. And it just seems like the, for me, best way to explain all of this and retaining sanity. That we can be teleported in this way.. Well, magic and technology can do a lot of incredible things in this game, so..

Last edited by Darkhawk (2006-10-03 13:40:39)

Makes sense. I'll stick to that in the future. It's pretty close to what I do now anyway.

Been resurected by respawn is alot more rare than been resurected in battle by team member. I don't know, but one thing is sure, characters "dies" in battle all the time. I mean,same character can "be dead" 30 times in hour. Even yesterday many of us "died" multible times. 

How to handle it as RP?

Just ignore hole idea about dead, because it doesn't really exist in MMORPG games. We are just unconscious?

Bigger problem is talking while You are "unconscious"?

Last edited by Victoria (2006-10-03 14:44:28)

True, Victoria. It can be great to RP the Kami bringing you back from the gates of death for one of two times, but the 20th resurrection becomes just... routine...

As you become more established in the world, you will find that other homins healing you is more common. As it stands, when you fall in battle, you are unconscious (if you highlight over your constitution on the Identity (p) screen, it says as much).

There are theories on how each Homin has a 'seed' and that only the Kami or Karavan can resurrect you. Of course, there is lore on how not all Homins are 'worthy' of the divine gifts. There are also theories that the resurrection is an aspect of Atys, and not truly Karavan/Kami only - just that the Karavan and Kami keep the secret to themselves so that homins continue to serve them.

Conspiracy theories are not so rare, obviously *grin*

The one theory above works very well. I play it that there was death, and the moment when the homin's Seed (soul essentially) is coaxed back. At that point (much like in tabletop gaming), I always imagine the Homin has a choice - whether to go back or just disseminate into the lifeforce of Atys.

There was an in-game event earlier in the year where an assassin killed the leader of the Trykers with a blade that has the power to permanently kill a Homin, beyond all means of resurrection. This is a very harrowing idea to a Homin accustomed to the Karavan or Kami pulling them back. In an interview from that time frame, one of the canon NPCs was rather flippant with a constable BECAUSE he knew he could not die and had faith in the Karavan, in Jena, to bring him back.

There is also the theory of being too far away for either power to resurrect you. Some people use that when RP'ing long journeys into the old kingdoms.

/ramble

~Emaelle's Player~

I for one don't like that whole 'I died but I got better' gameplay that more or less all MMOG's have. Hm.. Have I written this before in this thread? Possibly wink There is a big dimension that gets lost, if you RP that you can die 10 times a day with nothing to show for it. At least for me. Therefore I've been quite pleased with how we've RP'ed this so far, which has been as I outlined previously.

Since you can still speak when downed, there is nothing stopping us from RP'ing that we a re lying on the ground, conscious, mortally wounded, feeling our life ebbing away. The timer could then be used to see how many minutes you had until you died (though you don't). The healing spells people have do just that - heal, not resurrect those who have kissed Atys. If there is no one around to heal you, and you feel you will die within minutes, you can chose to pray to the Kami or Karavan, and if they have camps nearby, they will react to that prayer for help by teleporting you to that camp and healing you, just before death.

That seems better on the 'suspension of disbelief' thing. This ties in well enough with the seemingly official Seed theory, in that you can say the Kami and Karavan somehow can detect this prayer through the Seed and take you from there.

It also seems this Seed theory is used to explain how the guilds can talk to eachother IC, instant telepathic contact. Well, as with resurrection this all seems a bit too convenient and 'ad hoc' for my taste, but we do have such a system in place that utilizes this Seed theory, just not as efficient as others perhaps RP it to be. All in all, I think we're doing well of course wink

And I guess that's what I wanted to say, or invite people to discuss.

I agree totally with Darkhawk. Trivializing death also removes the fear of death and excitement of danger. Which in turn removes way too big a part of what heroic stories are all about.

When I was trying out SoR for the first time and asked the first roleplayer I ran into about how to RP respawning, she said she did it pretty much exactly the way we're doing it now (teleport + healing). So we're not completely alone in our little bubble of alternate reality here.

So let's keep doing it the way we do it now.

Just to add my blurted opinion again, I really don't like the idea of resurrection being an everyday matter. If that was the case, just like with telepathy commonplace, the culture would be very different. It doesn't make sense, and it screws up roleplay. I say to hell with it!

Turns out that in some ways the designers are ahead of us. If you move the cursor over your health points on the character sheet it said that when you reach 0 health you only go into a coma, from which you can be healed, rather than dieing immediately.

But all this sounds good, dying is fairly dodgy in this sort of context...