Topic: Second Life Saturday (6 PM CET)

Tomorrow, Saturday the 28th, at 6 PM CET, I will arrange an introduction to Second Life for roleplayers. We will take a look at the game's numerous roleplay-friendly features, tour a few roleplay settings OOC and finally play a session ourselves.

Instructions for participants:

First, you will need to download the small SL client here and make a Second life account by following this link. Do this as soon as you can, to give yourself time to finish the tutorial and get your bearings before tomorrow's event. A basic SL account is 100% free, but you will need to submit credit card details to verify your identity. During the account creation process, you will be asked who referred you to Second Life. Put down "Frehiard Walcott" as your referrer and I will forward the referral bonus L$ to you in full.

Once you get ingame, either search for a group called "Seed Community" and join it, or wait to be invited into it. Then you will be able to participate in group chat and receive ingame notices about the event.

SWG: CL90 Smuggler, Crimson Phoenix Ace, CL90 Engineer, Europe-Chimaera
AoC: L70 Guardian

Re: Second Life Saturday (6 PM CET)

I am still confused by this game.... what do you *do* ?
Whats the point of it i mean?

Not trying to bash it (after re-reading i can see it could be read like that) but I simply dont get it heh smile

Erf! i woke up too late!

I wont be here on time sorry hmm

From what I could tell from the tour, Second Life does offer some great potential for roleplaying. The ability to create so many different kinds of custom content, from clothes and houses to animations, for instance. And it seems people have already made quite a bit of those.

To Oluf, it's not exactly a game, but more like a playground with lots and lots of toys. So what you're supposed to do is up to you and your RP group. We saw, for instance, a place with typical monster combat grind. I think, though, that Second Life would best suit a freeform kind of game with no rules, just story. A more rule based game would require quite a bit of work, and there seemed to be hardly any AI to the mobs.

We didn't see any roleplaying at the moment, though, but Mir told me some groups have regular sessions while others have persistent MMORPG style worlds. It remains to be seen what kind of gaming people do there, but I'm pretty positive right now. The fact you can do anything except own land right from the beginning without levelling, is already a great plus to me.

Last edited by Kryigerof (2006-10-28 19:01:42)

I did try it our eariler today.

I wasnt impressed. The gfx and the lag scared me away pretty fast i am afraid.
It does seem like there are a lot of options, and i can see that it offers the chance for some good roleplaying.

Was in on some of the tour. The gfx are ugly or simple yes. Other than that, I recognize that this is one big sandbox where you can do a lot of things, including building your own content. There also are many tools available for RP, though the fact that you can't easily change your name is annoying.

However, I would far prefer PnP to SL I think. It doesn't seem directly appealing to me because of interface and graphics. A matter of taste, I can easily see you could build up something fun with it.