Topic: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Okay, this is just a quick sitrep about SMAC multiplayer.
After long fights and terrible failures... oh right, it wasn't that long. Anyway, thanks to Darkhawk, we found this little program called Hamachi (http://www.hamachi.cc) that creates a semi-LAN over the internet, so SMAC clients can see each other. The program is very easy to use and it guides you through  the procedure of joining a network.

The important part is:
We managed to start a game and play, so if the time comes, the only thing you must do is:
a, Have SMAC and Alien Crossfire expansion
b, Patch Alien Crossfire to version 2.0 (if it's not patched already)
b+, If you have problems running the game, download and install the XP patch from here: http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detai … showcon=2#
c, Download and install Hamachi
d, Join our network (name and password later)
e, Start up terranx.exe and choose Internet TCP/IP and you are /waytogo cool

Oh, and the game has Play-by-mail option too (I didn't know that), so if we can't find time to play together, we can play this way, though I don't know how can we RP that way but we will figure it out. wink

So, here the answer to the how, the remaining is the who and the when smile

Feel free to add your comments!

Re: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

oh play by mail would be great!
As you might have noticed i havent been on irc much lately...been kinda busy so that playstyle would fit me very well

I will get my hands on the game (+ expansion) in the start of the new year!

I loved playing Alpha Centauri...
Play by mail would be preferable for me as well...
Im in :mrgreen:

I've said repeatedly that I'll play in every other thread on this subject, and I'll repeat it here just to make certain nobody forgets to let me know when it happens- which it looks like it might now. Four people posting to say they're in, and Darkhawk and Mir both stated they would play when this was prevoiusly raised. Wow... If they're still interested, we only need one more for the full set!

Is it too soon to remake my call of "Dibs" on playing the Human Hive? smile

You get your dibs if I get mine wink

Five confirmed now. Two more until the full set- or like I said, with the expansion we could have the Aliens as the NPCs now and make it semi-realistic that we can't conduct proper negotiations with them.

Actually i may have to miss out on this... I dont really have a whole lot of time to play computer games at the moment :\