Topic: Whither now SoR?

I think it's time for an honest discussion about SoR. Becuse it's more important that we don't lose community members due to a SoR bleedout, than it is important to avoid this subject in order to keep those who are left ingame, ingame.

When we started out in SoR, it was to be our Seed replacement (yeah, not that anything could replace it), where we'd try to take our community. Of course the real community gathering place is our website here, but most of us decided to give SoR a try to play at least one game together all of us. Since we started, we've only had one direction ingame though, and that is losing players. We started out around 20 I think? Half that quickly saw that they didn't want to live through the grind, heh. The others went on for some time. We also got a few new players attracted to our community, which was one of the goals too.

But yes, we've had some bleed-out, and as far as I can see, never managed to build self-sustaining momentum. And now we're down to Kendrus, Mercellus, Perun, Artash and Shula, with the last two not being much present ingame. Which is of course no admonishment to them, just a statement.

And now it just so happens that because of RP getting more scarce to find and participate in in SoR due to a general exodus of players, and due to me having found something which has much more RP and no grind (Shadow Siege yes, which is admittedly not for everyone, being text-only),  I will also cut back on playing SoR. Actually I have already done that for 2 weeks or so already, but it took some time to step back and see it.

I'll be around for any and all RP, but I guess I'll take a more passive role, not directly creating new stories. I'll also be able to log in immediately if poked. I do think we should do something to find a more unifying game to play in though, now that we are so few left in SoR. Only problem with that seems to be that there are no alternatives? Or what do the hordes of you who did quit SoR say? How about we begin discussing the next best thing to come along that might draw a number of us, enough to gain momentum and gathering ingame. We need to recruit new members to our community, and give the old ones as many reasons as possible to hang around and be active smile For me, the community is more important than the game, as we will be able to create the RP I crave, if we are in sufficient numbers at least.

I think such a game is not immediately on the horizon. Lord of the Rings Online perhaps, Conan? More likely a good NWN PW, perhaps the Rome one? And most likely we won't ever get the perfect MMO anyway. But if we could find something that would make us gather again? Frankly URU is not doing a good job at this either yet, and I don't think SoR can draw you in again either.

Well this is a discussion going outside of SoR, but feel free to reply here anyway, the more the merrier really. Frakel has been doing exactly what was needed to stimulate RP and interest in SoR, and that's great to see. Such initiative is what is needed in any game we'd join to keep the kettle boiling. Without that, and participating in the stories and lives of other RP chars, SoR stands as the (friendly) grindathon it is. Which is as with most, if not all, other MMOG's.

I also have a concrete suggestion for SoR, if people are willing and ready. How about we play SoR exclusively at least once a week, gathering an evening all of us to do stuff together? That would create stories and motivation to log in on other days too maybe. And it could once again, make bonds with other RP'ers. But we need some more organization for such things. We should have done this earlier really. Anyway, I'm up for it and would suggest wednesday evening, though that is only a suggestion of course. Who's in?

Anyway, I've had a lot of unforgetable and intense RP moments in SoR, and this is no farewell thread to that game, 'just' a post to say that Perun will no longer be the moving force for IC mess/stories and change that he once was, along with a nudge to the entire community. We'd best not grow too stale and have the fading in SoR reflect on the level above, our community. So, what to do, huh?

Last edited by Darkhawk (2007-02-02 11:34:49)

Re: Whither now SoR?

Well, I must say that my interest in MMORPGs in general has faded, with the influx of different, traditional RP campaigns into my life (not least importantly, the Seed IRC game). For me, the Seed IRC game is the "Seed community" thing right now, and it would seem it could continue for a very long while.

I don't feel the need to get back into the very time-consuming world of MMOs, maybe ever. But I'll give a try to any truly RP-oriented games, like Adellion (but not URU), if I ever find myself with extra time again.

Darkhawk wrote:

I also have a concrete suggestion for SoR, if people are willing and ready. How about we play SoR exclusively at least once a week, gathering an evening all of us to do stuff together? That would create stories and motivation to log in on other days too maybe. And it could once again, make bonds with other RP'ers. But we need some more organization for such things. We should have done this earlier really. Anyway, I'm up for it and would suggest wednesday evening, though that is only a suggestion of course. Who's in?

Wednesday evenings would suit me fine mostly. I have allowed myself the luxury to be playing a little more than I really have the time to... (anybody else ever tried that wink ) - A weekly evening would be great though. But I would really like to hear from ´the original crew´ if they have any interest in this.

I do think that if planned in advance we might be able to draw some of the remaining RPers in SoR to us - if people know that wednesday evening = great RP with the Seeds. Would take come preparation to set things up of course, but maybe take some turns in arranging things / setting things in motion?

Last edited by Frakel (2007-02-02 12:45:01)

Well I'm a bit with Kryigerof on this one. I haven't played much online lately because other stuff has been taking my time but also because I have found it more difficult to find anyone to RP with. I'm not a big fan of SoR but the RP has been fun especialy with you guys. Meeting once a week or so IG seems like a good idea and I would most likely join you for that (wednesdays are fine with me too).

I prefer to stick to one online game at a time and right now SoR is that game but I am looking for something different. It is not entirely unlikely that I will quit SoR sometime later this year I'm afraid, but I'll stick with the community for sure.

I am returning now. I can't even for sure tell why I suddenly lost my interest in Ryzom - probably it was just getting interesting when I left. I guess I've not managed to reach a sort of union with my character, which definitely is necessary for good roleplay.

Anyway, I don't really care what game we play as long as there are a good world, a plot and a decent roleplayer base so I don't keep playing with the same people. Quite a lot of wishes, eh?

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

I'm not about to quit SoR until as long as there's no obvious replacement for it. Admittedly it's been rather empty for a while now and I've been looking at other games as well. If I've accomplished anything by that, it's getting a disheartened feeling about the genre. So it's still primarily SoR for me.

This also means that you can't count me out if we do find a game that a large part of our community is willing to try wink

Having a weekly SoR evening is a good idea in my opinion and wednesdays is fine with me.

Dont count on me for Ryzom this wednesday... I need a small break. And after spending a great deal of time planning the event I need to catch up on some RL things. But Ill be there next week... or before... wink Off course if any kind of funeral is planned for Mercellus I would appreciate a hint...

Last edited by Frakel (2007-02-05 15:23:21)

The search goes on! I think the idea of a regular meet is great, and I will pop in when I can. I must say that my time is extremely limited, mainly to the occasional weekend. Wednesdays are my sacred day off, and while that would often mean gaming before, it means the evening I dedicate to spending time with my husband wink I may be able to wangle a short time just to pop in, but I can't guarantee it.

So I'll try and fit in with you all, wherever I can!

The community is the important thing smile

Esme x

Well right, let's say we've agreed on meeting up on wednesdays, probably in the european evenings, yeah?

And let's say that we start this wednesday with the preparations for a funeral..