Topic: OOC: Character Death

I'd like to ask you opinions about the death of player characters. The poll is about the criteria of PC death, but I'd also like to ask how often death should happen. Should surviving through each year in the tower be an accomplishment or should death of a PC be a very rare, once (or never) in a campaign event.

Please note that if you agree that characters should be allowed to die in this or that condition, you also agree to not quit the campaign if it happens to your character (but instead create a new character).

Re: OOC: Character Death

I think that in games such as this, which are freeform and where there aren't really any rules or dices, players should have a risk of dying when they knowingly risk it. Let the GM decide, not the dice, as we don't use rules or dices for anything else, and there's no need to make it too complex.

If the GM is in doubt, he can always roll a d100 or something, but that's up to him, he can just describe what happens. And of course, people should be able to feel that a certain thing is risky, so that they're not completely surprised.

Well, I say the GM's word is truth, and it is so smile I think that the players can decide if an action is deadly or not, but anyway if it creats good RP, then I'm in for some drama. I, myself wouldn't be too struck if I would have to create a new char, but some might. Rolling dices I don't like a lot, knowing probability theory and such smile Not in a death/life question.
There are chars who like playing with fire *hints* but they sure know the risks.
Also, if a player "asks" for the death, then they can work it out nicely with the GM, as we saw proof of that earlier.

I pretty much agree with everything said so far. Having my char killed off by some unforeseen  accident is not something I'd consider fun, or interesting.. just weird, irritating, annoying (I can't decide if I should use stronger words hmm ). However, there should be some risk involved when there's risk in the storyline, hence I voted "when the player has knowingly risked it - GM decides"

I agree with the majority here that the player should be aware of the risk of possibly dying.  If at all possible story-wise, he should be warned about it by some other character if he doesn't realize the risk himself.

I'm not sure how I'll react to having to create a new character though, since I'm playing myself and creating an identical character would be quite lame.  But let's worry about that if the time comes (I have no intentions of dying).

Should have added at least:

- when another player character kills him/her