Topic: Tabula Rasa

Well, there's the closed beta for some guy named Richard Garriot's game called Tabula Rasa. It's already approaching the open beta state.

Unfortunately, there's not much RP potential with all the enemies attacking from every imaginable direction and fast-paced direct-control third-person action. Unless you use voice chat that is built into the game. But voice-chat and RP? Mh, as we discussed earlier. Not ta men'n som'nes acc'nt.

Still, it's a fun PvE shooter with nice graphics and good gameplay, designed by a guy that I hear has some good world design behind him.

In any case, I'm adding this one to my watchlist and inviting everyone willing to join.

And here's the site: http://playtr.com/.

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Re: Tabula Rasa

I've been watching this for a while but so far have failed to get in to beta to try it smile

if you happen to have a gamespy account (a free or paid) there is a chance to grab a beta slot over there now... I did smile
Will start download soon and once i had a chance to try it will let you know what its like

Well, it was released 11 days ago and I'm still enjoying it despite all the bugs and lack of  polish. It's definitely fun to play and has a surprisingly large roleplaying community, although it's more centered on one of the US servers.
I've managed to stick to an RP community (Called "Legends", you might've seen them around). Can't say they're all so great, but I get my share of casual RP.

The price is pretty steep, though: 45 euro, plus the standard 13 per month, and no mention of free trials. But the game's definitely worth trying.
And I heard there'll be mecha later on.

Last edited by Wheri (2007-11-13 13:04:46)

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

3 day trial invites can now be sent. E-mail me or leave a note here to get yours.

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Hrm, I'll pass, no time for gaming smile And Oluf is out travelling the world. But maybe someone else wants to give it a try?

They also have Gameworld events. And the DE day was pretty subtle and RP-encouraging, actually.

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

i got the game for christmas,and its a bit like WoW,tough grinding isnt that bad because it isnt that boring(and you need to get most XP by quests anyway),i found a friendly RP-ing clan on the EU server called "2nd mobile infantry".
so who of you is playing on the EU server?

I'm there and you can easily expect me to join one of 2nd MI's missions. I'm a bit higher level than them, though.

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

what is your ingame second name Wheri?

(just got my first squad run,was fun)

Last edited by Elfus (2008-01-03 21:14:53)

You'll be surprised how fun it can get, even when there's more shooting going on than actual roleplaying.
That, and you'll have to guess my in-game name.

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Not quite dead yet!
After two most active (And, in fact, only) English-speaking RP communities left our European server, one seeking greener pastures with Americans, the other putting TR on hold while new features are getting implemented, RP pretty much stopped for me. People are just not active enough and are hard to catch.
And than, an initiative started to unite what's left of English/international, German and French communities! Things do seem to be picking up now, with at least two events being planned, but there still is a problem with an in-game English-speaking organization - it could use some active gamers.

Here's a write-up of the event that took place last Thursday: http://weltennet.de/forum/showpost.php? … stcount=17. It's in German, and by the screenshots it seems to have gone not quite as planned (Read: chaotic).

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

I played rgtr both in beta and after it's release, but for some reason it runs very unstable for me, up to the point that it started to annoy me.
It ranged from textures and models getting messed up to random peaks of lag/frame rate drops.
My PC is almost in its geriatric-stage, but if I have to tune down the settings so much that it starts to look like doom, i rather play doom...

Last edited by Midragar (2008-04-11 15:24:25)

Got a new pc now and TB runs far smoother aswell, was a bit disappointed when I crancked the visuals up to max that it wasn't that impressive. Only difference between lower and high specs was some transparancy-effect.

Well, the game's still alive, although not as RP-full as I'd like it to be. But, it's been getting a lot of polish in the late patches, and GM's seem very friendly to whatever RP's left.

I still have a bunch of trial invitations available, if anyone wants to try it out.

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

RGTR felt like a dissapointment to me. Graphics were partially stolen from Auto Assault and the whole crafting system felt a bit dodgy.
It was fun to play and controls were easy for someone used to playing shooters.
I also never had the feeling that it were really survivors from earth. It all felt like a bunch soldiers running around in a jungle.

But all NC Soft mmo's i've played always feel a bit plastic to me. I rarely get the feeling in their creations that i'm walking in a living breathing world.