Topic: Minicampaign : Price of Honor (RPGChat)

Price of Honor (RPGChat)

I know the war may seem distant to you. And indeed, if you asked a mapmaker he would say there's 245 miles between Glenford Dale and the bleeding walls of Crosney Fort. But we are not mapmakers, we are the king's servants! We who live of his land, know no such thing as distance. The enemy will be beaten back, and we'll be the makers of that victory. There are many manners of sacrifice, but everyone's contribution will be greatly valued. Those who do not falter from their duty will be duly respected by both me and His Highness himself! Let us stay strong! Let this country prosper!

- Sir Ferdinand of Glenford

You heard it, folks! Bring forth your purses!

- Jerod, scribe

Price of Honor is a minicampaign for a handful of players played over RPGChat. The players are peasants of Glenford Dale, whose lives are affected by a distant war. It's not for those of powergaming nature - expect your wealth, health and overall situation to be in steady decline. It's about conflicts between ordinary people arising from despair, so join with the appropriate attitude. It's a simple premise but a pretty strong one I believe.

The characters can range from village chiefs to young lads and wrinkly old grandmas. We'll create the characters either together or each of you with me, whichever is more convenient. There's no system - it's all about immersion and drama and GM fiat.

If you're interested, please respond to this thread and tell us what times in a week would suit you.

Re: Minicampaign : Price of Honor (RPGChat)

Yeah, that sounds good, I'm in.

And my playing times are a bit tricky these days, but sunday is an ok bet.

Ok, monday too, after some pressuring.

I'm intrested - I'm not sure about free days though... I'll post later if I can find regular weekday from my calendar.

Interested as well, can't really say any sure day. No time next weekend, slight chance for the one after that. Weekdays 5pm earliest (except Tuesday and Thursday is a no-go).

Some background info

Glenford Dale

Glenford Dale is a humble village located in a valley in a remote part of the kingdom. It's a good place to settle down, all things considered: the weather is mild and the two rivers bring fertile soil from the mountains. A hard-working farmer should expect to starve only once in a few years, when the weather plays tricks on the crops.

The village resides in the ford of the river, populated by about 80 peasants. To the east, ocross the river on top of a hill rests Glenford Manor, surrounded by a small but sturdy fort. Roads lead to nearby villages and towns, though they're rarely traveled except by the lord's couriers and the occasional merchant or noble guest.

Sir Ferdinand of Glenford

The lord of Glenford Manor takes pride in valor and justice. While quick to discipline the unruly and show the mutinous their place, he treats his subordinates with more respect than is perhaps appropriate to peasants. His lifestyle is nearly spartan, to the eternal frustration of his wife and amusement of his guests - and, of course, to the delight of his peasants whose tax burden is that much lower.

Please don't forget that we're playing tomorrow, at 12:00 GMT.

Moved to 16:00 GMT.

Please don't forget to join in this Sunday at 12:00 GMT

For your information, I'm using this site as reference for medieval life: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/en … dieval.htm

Of particular interest are, of course, the pages describing life of a peasant.

About next session: Everyone okay with Sun Jan 31, at 12:00 GMT?

Sounds okay to me. As usual, there's always a chance someone will desperately want to see me at exactly the same time, but I don't think anything will crop up.

RP in MMOG's looks like this when trying to base it on in-game activities:
"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

31.1 is birthday of my niece.. I don't think I can play - sorry sad

I've fallen ill. It's nothing serious and will probably be gone by Sunday, but still bad enough to render me unable to concentrate for more than an hour. Just warning that I may be unable to play anything big this session.

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Next game is next Sunday at the familiar hour. We skipped the previous session.

Sorry for forgetting today's game. I was still recovering from getting a proverbial sledgehammer in my face on Friday.

Anyway, there seem to be many people with one or other kind of motivation related problem with this campaign. So if anyone finds the idea of discontinuing this campaign a negative, please reply to this thread.

We've stopped at a very climatic moment (Me getting my arse handed to me) and I really want to see how it plays out.

It's not so much motivational problems as real-life complications interfering with the game time. Unfortunate, but I don't think we can do about it short of going to live as hermits in a cave (With broadband).

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"

Didn't mean to imply you had the motivational problems, Wheri.

Anyway, it seems like we're skipping again next Sunday... I'm going to see my brother in a faraway city this weekend...

Uhm ok, I wanted to give this a chance to take off, but so far, we've played 2 times only, and it's demotivating for me to never know whether we will play or not, and still have to clear time for this from the other stuff I do, social, gaming or even work.

I had decided I wanted to give the game at least 3 tries before commenting either way, but that was 2 weeks ago, or maybe 3, and we haven't played since. So uh, I'll rock the boat and actually ABANDON the boat. That's not usually my style, but this is too slow going/not happening very often, and (probably because of that) lacks the intensity and passion for me that I crave in RP.

Interesting setting though sad

Right. Well, that's it then, I guess. Unless the rest of you want to continue with three players... or find a replacement... or play solo... or something. Sorry for the last two skippings, as they were due to me.

I suppose I've been communicating badly about this: Currently, only Wheri and Chris have shown interest in continuing this campaign. Wheri, do you want to play with only two players?

No. Three players is the absolute minimum in my opinion, and even than I'll be reluctant.

"Let's go <activity>!"
"Yay, <activity>!"
"<motivation>!"